Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm asking about the one's that were assaulted.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well people are saying dublin is unsafe because tourists have been attacked here, so where is actually safe? what cities? by that measure nowhere is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's not binary. People can think the city is relatively safe while also being horrified by attacks like that. I'd gladly see a DCC dedicated gardai unit with loads of garda visibility in the CC.

But that doesn't mean I think it's unsafe to be in the city centre. Nowhere is 100% safe.

I didn't ask for the links and comparisons.

The behaviour we're seeing in Dublin of late isn't acceptable. We shouldn’t be accepting it just because other cities have problems.

You appear to be saying that violence is acceptable to some extent, because it can't be eliminated completely.

The problem in Dublin now is that it's reaching a level where its becoming all pervasive and that needs to be stopped.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to downplay that.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Allinall

If they go in seventy nine times a day, and haven't yet been assaulted, then that makes Dublin a really really safe city.

• Advertisement

As always Yurt, chill. Your BP must be sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Generally anything with a 1 in 400,000 chance of having a bad ending would be considered safe,

i'm only downplaying people going on like it's a dangerous place to visit. if you google any city and the crime that happens there it means all cities are dangerous to visit, pretty much.

dublin needs more garda and some things to be sorted out but some of the hyperbole is ridiculous, don't split up from your friends group was touted a few posts ago, like for f**k's sake lol, this is something you hear about places like Tijuana and Cape Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're wilfully downplaying the increasing frequency and severity of attacks in Dublin.

Somewhere across the world in Brazil, there's someone on a boards Brazil soft soaping that their city being overran by violence is "relatively safe" because the next sh*thole over is worse.

I'll keep this simple for you: Dublin was never the greatest city in the world for public safety, but it is become objectively and visibly much worse to anyone with a functioning set of eyes. You'd have to on a powerful dose of copium not to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Forgot tallaght and finglas.

Maybe Shrewsbury Road as well. I'm sure you well know a dodgy estate around there with your astounding knowledge of Dublin.

Any sort of this stuff is wrong. I'd prefer absolutely zero violence.

Shit happens. Not good.

Was it you or somebody else that called my child a scrote?

• Advertisement

how do you know attacks are increasing in frequency? i think it's much safer than it used to be in the 90s, it's nowhere near as run down as it used to be, there was always killings on the streets when the pubs closed at the weekends, i never see any of that these days. the inner city flats and social housing were way way more deprived before the celtic tiger for e.g., you couldn't walk through certain areas, they were actual no go zones. now you can swan around seville place and foley st and other such places and you'll most likely be fine.

It just doesn't add up tbh.

Tourists ending in Beaumont hospital isn't the same as a few breakages in a shop or something and shouldn't be viewed as such.

Nobody is comparing Dublin to the cities you mentioned.

We should never tolerate violence of any hue.

It's odd that I'm seeing these opinions from some posters who would have us believe that Ireland is over run with far right groups running amok at all times committing all sorts of hate crimes.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Dublin was at it's worst just after the crash imho, Celtic tiger bros on the bag who owed 5 figures to their dealer going out in a blaze of glory, you actually had to have eyes in the back of your head.

Couple of topless heroin addicts scrapping by the spire, child's p;ay.

who thinks ireland is over run with far right groups committing hate crimes?

and lots of people are comparing dublin to other euro cities, read back on the thread.

As always I've no idea what you're talking about 🤣 not sure if you mix my username up with somebody else or you're a bot but I do not post in the Russia thread.

The reds aren't under your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Look at the size of the area these attacks took place in (denoted by red x in attached image). It's incredibly small right across our City Centre. We only have one capital city centre and there should be pride in it.

We're not fooking New York or London or Paris or San Francisco or any other city. You don't see the level of drug use in them cities you see here in our main tourist drop off and Business Centre.

This is Dublin and these crimes are happening in a tiny area 100s of metres apart.

I had to tell my GF at that time to stop cycling across the IFSC to Drumcondra at the time Urantsetseg Tserendorj was murdered. How many lads here wouldn't have taken that action and would have been fully confident for their missus to take the risk? I wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

<Mod Snip>

Please do not discuss a case that is currently before the courts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ah the wonderful attitude that has given us zero public toilets because they were infested by junkies shooting up, feck all public bins on the streets because skobies kept filling them with household waste, fenced off public spaces to stop ASBO types hanging about and a generally unpleasant environment to navigate, because who are we to tell aggressive beggars to feck off.

You will no doubt get your wish, as fewer and fewer people see any point in spending their leisure time in the city centre when there are far more pleasant places to be, and then you'll wonder why Dublin 1 looks like a streetscape from The Walking Dead, all the shops are Dealz and that crap you stood in has only a 50/50 chance of being a dog's.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

At least more police presence would be a deterrent.

Does anyone know where the Gardai are that man the streets for Paddy's Day - scores of them on every street corner for the day - where do they be normally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I called all your kids scrotes. And I'm Randy Blythe. So that was soft for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yurt2 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The answer is no, not just because I don’t assume they share your views of DCC already, they haven’t expressed any sentiments to that effect, and secondly because there would simply be no point. Thirdly, and probably most importantly - the answer is no, because I’m not a vindictive sociopath. Your attempt to switch your own anecdotal evidence for theirs would still be useless by way of determining whether you had a point in claiming DCC is dangerous.

And no to your second point too btw - I don’t expect you to go around counting human turds anywhere, the point was simply to demonstrate that simply expecting anyone to accept your view that Dublin is dangerous without being able to quantify just how dangerous it is in comparison to anywhere else, is not likely to happen. I wouldn’t expect you to go around the streets of Dublin telling people they’re not safe either. Not because I think you’d come to any harm, far more likely people would conclude you’re off your meds or some other explanation that makes sense to them for your behaviour, but simply because it would again provide evidence of nothing. It would still be anecdotal evidence based upon opinions, evidence which is of no use whatsoever to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jeremyr62

Even at the height of its infamy New York was always bunged at night. I don't think you can link how busy a city centre is with how dangerous it is. Some people are attracted to dangerous and risky places anyway, all part of the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You absolutely can, but what you can’t do is manufacture a relationship between danger seekers and their wish to be assaulted, with ordinary people who are going about their business in a city inhabited by a fifth of the country’s population! That’s even before counting tourists who come from countries where they experience far worse levels of antisocial behaviour, poverty and destitution… and where they’re far more likely to be shot by a police officer by accident, than anyone is in Dublin.

That’s why simply claiming Dublin is dangerous based on the evidence of a few anecdotes and people’s own personal standards is meaningless. It’s simply Chicken Licken territory.

Perhaps to you. I've seen that distraction masquerading as a response many times. Maybe we could try to make sense of your previous post and you could point me to my alt account? The one you have a little problem with? Quite the accusation to level with zero proof.

• Advertisement

Odd that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement