Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Does anyone actually watch VMTV?

They have some good guests and discussion.

I'd like to watch a playback or something.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Harris is after taking a shellacking in the ballot:

This is all over social media today.

McEntee claiming he has their full support.

Harris saying their vote is irrelevant.

Personally, I'd like to see a commissioner brought in from a western European state that has a more modern approach to law enforcement.

And I think the GRA spokesperson above made a critical and so often overlooked point in Irish culture, that the leadership of the de facto leader, needs to be up to scratch, despite not being the exclusive decision maker, without effective and cognizant leadership, the whole state of affairs falls into disrepair.

And if you look around the country and what law enforcement are failing to accomplish, it quite accurately reflects that.

I have no grudge against Harris personally. He looks like a cool dude (Miami showband issues aside and condolences to those involved), and I've no doubt there have been weaker willed commissioners in the past.

But what Irelands needs is a real shake up and modernization of its law enforcement attitude and protocol.

And in all probability he'll lead the ship on a similar'ish course to its historical bearing, perhaps with a few little differences, but he's just not cut out for what Ireland at this stage of development, requires.

This anyone could sympathize with though:

"kick in the teeth", being condemned by ones own team, basically.

Though the reality is, safety of the nation and integrity of law enforcement responsible for ensuring it, comes before not hurting a dudes feelings.

Didn't the government just bring him in to implement a raft of cost saving measures?

The only question now is, would Sinn Fein having a say, change or improve how this administration is handled in future??

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 86,028 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stephen Termini fighting with his son over money collected as he wants to buy a house in the west of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm guessing by how clean and prim their uniforms are, they work in offices and only have the uniform for these PR bits. Agree re yer one, shouldn't be attached to the jacket, should be attached to the stabvest like yer man, or at the very least the jacket should be closed. Pretty sure guidelines don't allow you to wear it like that. Which makes be believe even more she's office based.

I love how he said he took it personally, it's nor personal. He's the figurehead and leader of AGS, who else are they to take no confidence in? And his attitude/reply just shows how much he actually cares. He doesn't, and he has the backing of that dope so I can't see anything changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭airy fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sickening to think his own sons would do this to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Sickening he thinks he can get people to fund his stay here. Apple didn't fall far from the tree, both sons and father seem to be in it to cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I thought they said he lost an eye? He doesn’t look to banged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭apache

Is he still mad about getting Irish citizenship?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Grifters gonna grift, its the american way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,028 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was sure I heard that too about the eye

Also him and his sons were complaining McEntee didn't visit them personally

Is she expected to visit all victims

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

With the recent spate of violent crime in Dublin and the apparent inability, through either lack of resources or mere incompetence, of the Gardaí to get a handle on the situation, perhaps reintroducing a police force dedicated to law enforcement in Dublin City is the solution.

Before the 26 counties left the United Kingdom the RIC policed most of the island whereas the Dublin City area had its own force, the Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP). Unlike the RIC they were an unarmed force and despite republican propaganda had a good relationship wi to the community. The model of policing in Dublin was seen to be so successful that the Gardaí essentially replicated it.

The jurisdiction of the DMP was from St. Anne’s Park in the northeast, down the coast to Killiney Hill and then up the Stillorgan road to the Dodder, along the Dodder to Tempelogue, from Tempelogue a straight line to Ballyfermot, then around the walls of the Phoenix Park, up to the Tolka, along the north wall of Glasnevin Cemetery and then down Drumcondra Road to Griffith Avenue to St. Anne’s. This should be the jurisdiction of a re-established DMP, to prioritise their efforts in the inner city and areas immediately surrounding. Other trouble spots such as Clondalkin, Tallaght, Finglas and Coolock would remain in the national AGS jurisdiction.

An unarmed force of course, and with a focus on interactions on the ground with the aim of preventing crime as opposed to a paramilitary-style force reacting to it.

Another case of trying to blame foreigners for our own scum culture endemic.

Sucker punch was 100% from a North Dub, Irish, Dub-life scum sucking dreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What does that gain anyone? Would DMP members be trained elsewhere than Templemore? Would they have any difference in powers? Other than as a rebranding effort for Dublin based members, what benefit accrues to Dublin and indeed to the rest of the country in allowing such a force? Shifting additional numbers to Dublin without increasing overall resourcing and numbers? Means less Gardaí for the region's.

I'm all for increased numbers, more visible policing and improved response times. I don't see what a rebranding effort gains on any of those fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As you said, AGS was modelled on the DMP, so we effectively already have what you’re looking for, just under a different name. And not just in Dublin. Good suggestion, just it was already implemented over 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A secondary police force needed, like the military police you see in European countries. I've seen them in France, Germany, Spain. You wouldn't mess with them, I saw them in action once or twice.

They're not the same organisation as the regular police, and don't need the PR and softly softly approach that An Garda Siochana think they need to take now. Just call in the heavies and don't take any crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,522 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ideally, we should have what I have on the continent with the likes metropolitan gardai force in the major cities Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway and transport Gardai force covering trains, Dart & Luas.

Those private guys on the Luas don’t do a thing really except look big wearing stab vest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're obsessed with partition and the UK influence on Ireland. Bad enough changing the county boundaries and renaming towns, now it's the DMP. It would still be a police force bound to the political, legal and financial constraints the Gardaí are.

A little bit of learning is a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭con747

You should have been around in the 70's 80's when you didn't mess with a garda or you got the sh1t kicked out of you, but then we got the do gooders who put a stop to that and here we are now....

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure they'd all be long dead by now. Fat lot of use that would be.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭con747

Well, it's obvious you weren't around in the 70's and 80's so if you think that's what getting the sh1t kicked out of you by a garda is! Also, I have no idea why the thread I posted in just got merged into this one but that's the way boards is now.... So I'm out of this thread.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Iguarantee

Approx. 80% of the

Approx 80% of the roads budget goes to Dublin despite having 25% of the population.

You can have your property tax back but the rest of the country want our roads repaired with the money that otherwise goes to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Full sympathy to Stephen Termini but the 2 sons come across so so badly.

Department of Justice statement of strategy:

Open to public opinion until Friday.

Have your say?

It sounds comprehensive and touches on the pertinent objectives, but based on past performance, could well be idle lip-service.

Management of community issues which by extension applies to

• public policing and police presence
    • immigration policy and management strategy (Gardiner St Talbot St intersection....... Aw Lawd!!)
    • criminal management protocol, diversionary programs and adequate punitive measures (cause current punitive measures serve as no kind of deterrence, I think that much is evident).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Completed that. Limited, but at least it's something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement