Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign policy.

Options
  • 27-07-2023 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

What do you think of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar comments as quoted from Sky News (below)! 😗

Ireland likely won't offer condolences when Putin dies Ireland's Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he doesn't believe the Irish government would offer condolences to Russia in the event of Vladimir Putin's death. In what at first might seem like a somewhat random disclosure, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said he doesn't believe the Irish government would offer condolences to Russia in the event of Vladimir Putin's death. He added he did not believe an Irish delegation would be present at the Russian president's funeral. Mr Varadkar was taking questions from reporters relating to Ireland's historical foreign policy. 

The Irish government had a strict policy of neutrality during the Second World War. But then-taoiseach and minister for external affairs Eamon de Valera had sparked outrage among the international community when he expressed condolences following Adolf Hitler's death in 1945. It caused significant reputational damage to Mr de Valera and the state at the time. 

Ireland continues to employ a policy of neutrality but says this relates to being militarily neutral rather than politically.

Asked if Ireland would offer a similar condolence to Russia in the event of Mr Putin's death, Mr Varadkar said: "I don't think so."

Briefly pausing to consider the theoretical event, he added: "It's a good question, I hadn't thought of it before.

"I wouldn't imagine we'd be represented at the funeral."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

People are so disappointing some times.

Dev signing a book in 1945(6?). Thats someones issue of the day, like thats their thing, their reach. Thats their raised eyebrow moment. Their bottom of the bin crumb of controversy.

Just stop. Save some dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What do you think yourself? Personally, his comments seem quite honest and acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭jonnreeks

I generally agree with his comments. 🤔

Advertisement