Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord changed agent - don't want to sign new 12 month lease

Options
  • 27-07-2023 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I'd just like some advice. My landlord recently changed letting agent and the new agent wants us to sign a new 12 month lease agreement but my partner and I have been discussing moving county. We want to have jobs secured before moving and are currently in the process of applying. So we don't want to be tied down here for another year (already been there a year and a half - editing to add we've been living here for nearly 3 years just not in this current apparentment).

My biggest worry is if we ask to keep the rolling 1 month contract but just under the new agent, that they could ask us to leave and then just get someone new. The thing is I don't know how long we'll be here. Could be a month or another 6 months plus.

I feel kind of stuck and I'm not really sure what to ask. Do we have to sign it or can they just honor the original lease? It's with the same person but they just work with a new company. The new lease also changes the sign date so it would be a year from now as opposed to the 6 months left of the second year of the current lease.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Have ye 6 months left of your current lease or are ye on rolling?

If ye have another 6 months then that lease is valid, new agent or not

• Registered Users Posts: 26 walkingpsycho

It's on the rolling lease at the moment. We finished the first year a little over 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Look up Part 4 tenant rights, you will find all the information you need, there are only a few circumstances under which a LL can terminate a tenancy, you refusing to sign a fixed term lease isn’t one of them.

Inform the letting agent that you will continue to rent under Part 4 tenancy rights, and that you will not be signing a new 1 yr lease. That should be the last you hear about it. Make sure you give the required notice when you do want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree with all this.

Your notice will be more than 1 month: you are NOT on rolling 1 month contract because that is not legal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 walkingpsycho

I looked it up. Thank ye both. I didn't even think of that, thank you Mrs OBumble. We'll have to give either 6 or 8 weeks depending on if we stay past the next 6 months. The last place had specified a 1 month notice past the first year so I just went with that (which I shouldn't have done).

I'll speak to the agent about it. Thank ye again. I just got really anxious about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The agent is looking to charge your landlord a fee for a new lease. If your landlord has any sense at all they would want it left as is with no new lease and just let the part 4 run. Will save them money too.

Advertisement