Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'how did it get played on the radio?' thread

• 28-07-2023 11:35am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭

the recentish fuss over W.A.P. seems a little quaint to me right now, given that i've just read the lyrics for 'nancy boy' by placebo for the first time. this is a song which got quite decent radia airplay; and it's hilarious now if you listen to the lyrics and how gloriously filthy they are. i obviously never really listened to the lyrics at the time.

any other songs which i should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Placebo were clever enough in the lyrics of this... the worst swear word in it is "ass"... and as such it would have avoided a lot of the backlash it could have otherwise received. It's one of the great joys of a wide vocabulary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I don’t know if it has ever been played on the radio (possibly John Peel a long time ago?) but I asked ultra-nice Alison Curtis to play White Noise by Stiff Little Fingers for my birthday a few years ago (jokingly, of course!) and she ignored me.

It is an anti-racism song that name-checks A LOT of racist words and phrases. Excellent song, imo.

stiff little fingers white noise lyrics https://g.co/kgs/dPf9Af

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Zig and Zag calling each other tw*ts on their chart topping Christmas No 1 single didn't stop it being played regularly on 2FM at the time.

Advertisement