Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AA car insurance address change cost

• 27-07-2023 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am having an insurance with the AA (underlying insurer is Zurich) which is about to expire in two months. Now that I have moved house and asked them to change the address they are asking about €54 which includes a €40 admin fee. To me this admin fee is ridiculous, yeah some people can argue that's there in their contract but as a consumer how many of us really go through these terms and conditions in details. Now, my situation is to either move to a new insurer by cancelling the AA or pay them €54 and stick to them for another couple of months. My questions/concerns are:

• Should I move to a new insurance provider (I got a decent quote from Liberty insurance) and cancel the existing one with AA/Zurich to save €54 euros?
    • I only have 1 year no claim bonus in Ireland and I guess if I cancel the AA, my second year no claim bonus will not be given. Would that be any problem in future?
    Post edited by Henry Ford III on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Lets clear one thing up - you are an adult and as such we assume you are capable of acting in your own best interests and that includes deciding to enter into contracts without bothering to know and understand the terms of the contract you are signing up. And in my 35+ years of experience, most people have a pretty good understanding of the financial products they sign up to and when they don't the ask.

As for what to do - get a quote from a few other companies and compare the offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I would not expect to be charged to change my address with an insurance co. I would write to them to inform them of the new address. In 2 months you can renew at the new address or get a policy with another company.

I would not stress about it.

I presume you are getting correspondence by email anyway.

The only reason it would be an issue is if you moved to an area considered to be less safe than your existing area, which could carry a loading (or reduced discount) from your existing company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

Admin fees used to be hidden in the cost of insurance, so we were all paying them whether we knew it or not. That's why changes were "free".

In recent years insurance companies have pared back what's front-loaded, but charge for changes.

It's a bit like the Ryanair model of only paying for what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hypheni

I heard from one of my friend that his sister was refused to get insurance from several companies post a cancellation. And she ended up paying much higher premium for number of years before it got stable. Anyone has got similar experiences?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you have a bad record in that you've had multiple claims, totalled a car etc. you can expect some insurance companies will refuse to insure you and those that are willing to do so will charge you significantly higher premiums because you represent a insurance risk. Your friends sister was refused insurance and charged higher premiums because her record indicated to the underwriters that she was a bid risk. But you are not in that situation, based on your posts so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Moving this to the motor insurance forum

Advertisement