Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fictive square meter?

Options
  • 28-07-2023 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all

Bid and won on a property for sale. Few days later, seen that the square meters from the plan of the advertised property did not match with the number mentioned on the property's advertisement. Missing around 10 sq/m. When asked the agent he became very defensive and said if this is a trick for me to ask for a lower the price ,will not work. It's not. Told him that all I'm asking is to match the advertised diameter of the property with a legal document provided by the management or building company. Is this legal?Isn't this like a scam? Advertising a property for a certain diameter but it's actually much smaller. Agent did not sounded very bothered by the issue

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think it is done often where they advertise a slightly higher square meter property.

I don't think he will bother matching.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is the property a circle/sphere? I don't understand your use of diameter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭gipi

Most estate agent adverts have a clause at the end to state that all measurements are approximate, so I doubt you'll get very far with your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Yes it is legal. You will usually see a disclaimer that any advertised size does not form part of the contract.

The Supreme Court has upheld that, and said that if the sq footage is important in your decision to purchase, you should have it independantly checked.

https://www.jwod.ie/estate-agents-negligent-misstatement/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ioni 1985

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It was advertised. You viewed and accepted it.

You pay deposit or walk away and let someone else have it.

That’s how it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ioni 1985

Caveman brain. Clearly have no idea how this works but just bored and decided to write something. Let the grown ups have a chat. You think this are apple bought from the shop that if one is rotten , you throw it away and eat the rest? This is a property that you have to consider every aspect of it or you are stuck with it for life. Also ,yes, I can let the next one have it but I put already time and money in this so I'll document about everything

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OP clearly doesn't want actual advice so closing thread as useless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement