Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 or CC budget 15k to 18k max

• 31-07-2023 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

So Jr is looking to upgrade his vehicle towards end of year, 25yrs, male, 4 years ncb in his own name & his preference is either an Audi A4 or VW Passat cc, 151 or newer, purely based on aesthetics, he’s not really into cars & certainly not into any diy car maintenance, that’s just the way it is, he does a 56km round trip Limerick to Shannon 2 or 3 times a week for work otherwise very little else.

I’ve no experience of the above models so looking for any thoughts on that era models, manual / auto, trim level, fuel type ( I’m thinking staying petrol), any know issues / problems, things to look out for, usual stuff.

Appreciate any advice,

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2015 vintage of both will be the old models in their last model year run. The A4 being replaced with a new model in 2016 and the CC being replaced by the Arteon in early 2017. CC is based on the 2005 to 2014 Passat, it's got more interior space and boot than the A4 but the A4 has better headroom being a standard saloon. CC is a 4 door fastback/coupe similar to the A5 Sportback. As these are older models the automatic versions while more suited to the diesel engines can be troublesome, the DSG auto in the CC can fail and is expensive to repair while most of the A4s were sold with the multitronic gearbox which again give trouble (they have the nickname multicronic) so I'd probably stick with the manual for reliability.

Petrol models of both are very rare with 95% being diesel but the 1.8 TFSi offered doesn't have a great reputation for durability. You would have to go the newer model A4 from 2016 onwards for the 1.4 TSI engine but I'd say they are out of your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have an A4 1.8 TFSI (petrol) for the past 5 years (2015). Very happy with it and it hasn't given me any trouble during the 120k that I have put up in it. It does use a bit of oil - requiring a few top ups between services but that appears to be normal for that model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I dont think the Multitronic on the B8 was anywhere near as bad as it supposedly was on the B6. I’d certainly take the chance one one over a DSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-gte/34184233

VW Passat GTE 2017

plug in hybrid,

Will not do his commute on electricity unless he charges in work, but a tank would probably last him 3 months.

19000 euro, but I would offer the 18000 and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just resurrecting this thread as he is now nearly ready to seriously start looking, his finances are nearly sorted, he has decided his No.1 choice & focus is an Audi A4 saloon 2019 or possibly 2020 if anyone has anything to else to add to the advice already given, I’d appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A5, being the much better looking sibling of the A4. Would get best of both cars mentioned in OP. He might have to drop back 1 year compared to A4 for same price though.

But it really is much better looking

Where are you buying a 2019/2020 A4 for 18k max?

What's the new budget? As said an A5 or even a VW Arteon might be a nicer alternative for similar money.

25k-30k but I’m guessing he’d like to stay as close to 25k as possible

• Advertisement
Advertisement