Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Early nct to get 2 years

• 31-07-2023 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Car is 9 years old. Next nct is 6 may 2024. It is 10 years old on 7 January 2024.

Called nct and they said if you do the test before 5 Feb 2024( more than 90 days before nct due date) then you get 2 years from the pass date.

So if the car passed on 10 January 2024, next test would be January 2026 instead of may 2025(if doing on nct due date).

I was always thought it was 90 days before the 10th anniversary of the cars first registration date, which is not correct.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it was always 90 days before the 10th anniversary, I'd still be inclined to go with that unless NCT can send you a letter confirming what they said over the phone. I know with Covid they pushed back expiry dates but the 10th anniversary of first registration is what they based the 2 year test on.

Website seems to still say 10th anniversary...

B. The NCT is conducted every 2 years for vehicles younger than 10 years and vehicles that are being presented for their 10th anniversary inspection or older than 10 years must undergo an annual inspection. This regular evaluation of cars will result in a more frequent car servicing culture, which will provide better fuel economy, reduce overall repair costs and lower the risk of breakdowns and hence could result in potentially lower insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

I tried a few 131 registrations on the NCTS website. It might actually be true, 131D19500 has an expiry date of 20/5/2025, whereas other registrations around that number have August 2023. 131D19502 has an NCT that expires on 23/8/2023, so would have been registered on 23/4/2013, which suggests that 131D19500 was also registered on that date and that would make 20/5 just over 90 days prior to the original expiry date.

Would be interesting to know for sure, we have a 142 car with an NCT that expires early March '25, so if it is true, we could theoretically push the next one to let's say November '26 by getting it tested in November next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

The early test to get 2 years on a 10 year old car must be done more than 90 days before its registration date as opposed to its expiry date. Lots of cars got the extension during covid so that’s misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Got an email back from nct.

" I can confirm following COVID19 and the 4 month extension the 10th Anniversary of your vehicle has been extended until the 06 May 2024. In order for your vehicle to receive the final 2 year certificate it is required to pass by the 05 February 2024 which is out 90 days of the 10th Anniversary. Providing the vehicle passes by this date you will be issued with NCT certificate for 2 years from the date the vehicle passes the inspection. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

I wonder if the OP could confirm that a 2 year cert was subsequently issued? Or anyone else who can confirm that it's now effectively 90 days before the end of 10yrs + 4 months extension?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Not in my case. Car is 10 years old/10 years since first registration in September 2024. Current NCT valid until end of December 2024 (it got shifted by the three months during COVID). NCT letter arrived yesterday telling me that if I book a voluntary test before the end of August and have it done and pass before the end of September then I'll get a two year cert from the date of the pass. If I get a test/pass after September then it'll be a one year cert. That won't be 90+ days before the 10 year anniversary of the car/first registration. In fact the 10 years will have passed already if the test/pass is towards the end of September. I think that the car/first registration date is within the first two weeks of September.

Advertisement