Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord & Estate Agent Question

Options
  • 31-07-2023 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

I have 2 apartments that I rent out with two different estate agents (I wanted to see which was better but they are equally as awful.) I have had a tenancy change in each of the apartments the past year.

1. Estate Agent A - Increased their fees without telling me in writing. I was dealing with the agent on the phone and he conveniently forgot to tell me and I only saw it when their statement came through. I pushed back and they met me halfway on the difference. I was a bit too easy here I feel still.
    2. Estate Agent B - They initially just charged a management fee and not a letting fee. I spoke with the estate agent multiple times over past weeks and he never told me about a letting fee but I just got his fees statement and there is a 950e charge for letting on top of management. He claims he told me over the phone but I know he didn't - he's gaslighting me. I received nothing in writing about this change.

In the above both instances they did this after the tenant had moved in making it harder for me to push back. Also they control the income/expenses so they have already "taken" the money from the income.

Anyone advise on what to do in this situation? You think estate agents would be better to landlords but they are scrupulous all over. The worst profession to deal with it.

Regards,

Kieran

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I wouldn’t do anything too radical in haste. But I would do the following risk-free things:

• Get the rent payments made to your own bank account in future for starters. Tell the agent your boyfriend/girlfriend/mistress/bank/granny are insisting on this.

• Make sure the agents have accounted for the deposit properly in their dealings with you. Say your accountant is an awful prick about things like this.

• Make sure you have your hands on the rental agreements and on the RTB registrations. Also get copies of all references for your tenants and try to get a grip on how they found these tenants. (Your wife’s/husband’s solicitors are insisting on this but you can’t discuss further.)

• Find a decent handyman in the area. This will take time but will pay dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 driving_question

Thanks. I am confused.

1. The rent payments are made to me - no issues here usually
    2. Deposit is accounted for - no issues there
    3. I don't have the rental agreement (stupidly) and the RTB registration yet

I rang Estate Agent A and although he pulled the same shi**e on me - he gave me good advice for getting rid of Estate Agent B. I am currently looking into this.

Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Why not manage the properties yourself? Do you think they vet the tenants properly? Get yourself a DIY guy and no need for the middle man.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Complain to the PSRA!

Advertisement