Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Challenge - Headfort Golf

Options
  • 31-07-2023 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

Did anyone here go to the challenge tour event over weekend at Headfort golf club? 

I was there for a couple of hours Friday and all day Saturday. 

Crowds were very small which surprised me. 

I've been to about 7 or 8 Irish opens. Almost found this better as it was so easy to get up close to players and see them play shots. You were allowed walk the fairways with them also. It was almost strange in a way. Obviously only a handful of names you'd recognise but even those unknown guys are brilliant to watch. 

I followed Alex Fitzpatrick for about 5 holes, I counted only 11 people following the group. Considering he's only just finished a Top 20 at The Open I was surprised he didn't get more attention. Didn't have a great weekend but you can see he's a class act the way he hits the ball. 

Followed Tom Lewis who some may remember as a big name when he came on the scene. I was the only one watching his group for about 4 holes. This is a guy with career earnings over 4 million! 

Some of my thoughts in no particular order. 

- these guys are class golfers, challenge tour is essentially second tier but these lads are unreal players. 

- I think off the tee they are all good, I'd see no difference to groups I'd have followed at Irish opens. Possibly there's a difference in short game, I saw lads get in trouble but not get up and down. Definitely shots lost there that you might not see at the higher level. Putting as always is a big separator 

- surprised to see only maybe 25% with a caddy. Most pulling their own bag on a trolley. Some even carrying! But I guess it's money saving, I'd imagine a lot of these lads are under financial pressure 

I'd advise anyone to attend one of these events if you get a chance. You'll find it very relaxed and enjoyable. And you'll get close to some top quality golf 

On another note, Headfort is a fabulous course. I see on website their sub is around the €1,300 mark. Seems unreal value for a club with 36 holes and a championship course if that quality 

Advertisement