Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duck season

• 01-08-2023 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Does anyone know what the craic is with the wetland shooting? and does anyone know where I can get bismuth cartridges? My gun is old and I don't want to chance steel

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Untill we see some mapping from officaldom who are supposed to be in charge as to where these new areas are supposed to be.Carry on using the old maps of the SACs,reserves and other sancturies.That's unless the bird protection fascists sweet talk Noonan into listing common species into a protected list.Then what we shoot at them will be utterly irrevelant.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Pat McGroin

Hi lads.

I intend to head for the Corrib on Sept 1st. Its been a while since I did an opening morning there and I'm really looking forward to it again.

What has changed with new regs etc. ?

I presume steel shot, static decoys only, foreshore lience, no shooting from moving boat and three shot capacity on your shotgun keeps you on the right side of the rangers.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Cheers

Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Tobac223

No steel shot required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭ferrete

Where is steel shot required and not required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I hear the open season order has not yet been signed for this year, and that lead shot restrictions, are now in action. RGC are demanding a response on this from government, but getting no communication from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Now where did you hear this ? At the match or in the pub ? Unless it’s appeared in the National newspapers it hasn’t happened. “RGC are demanding a response from Government “. Waste of time, Leo, mehole etc ain’t got a clue. If anyone has it’s the NPWS. Ring them.

No, I didn't hear it down the pub smart arse. Ask your club chairman. He can give you all the details.

We don't know as the Govt and its organisation have NOT published any mapping on this issue so far. So proceed as normal. You aren't responsible for this Kafkaesque situation of the govt making. Asking your club chair will get you the same result as the heads of NARGC haven't got any info on this either from the NPWS You can't obey a law if no one tells you or marks out where you can and can't shoot a particular type of ammo.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Cheers for the info lads.

I'll carry on as before until I hear otherwise.

Anyone else shooting the Corrib on here?

Saw a nice few duck moving on dusk last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

will be gun users’ responsibility to ensure that they comply with the new EU Regulation and use appropriate ammunition when shooting. Gun users should ensure that their firearm can safely use non-lead ammunition as appropriate.

Bloody cheek TBH!!!.As there is no way of being able to do this in Ireland with no proof house to prove and stamp the gun as safe. 18-month backlog in the continental proof houses,250 euros per gun to be shipped in TWO packages for security reasons,if you can find a courier in Ireland to do such and pay another 200 euro for proof of the gun.Another 250 euros to get it back in two packages with of course all the hassle and paperwork.I'm just better off buying a new gun that is steel or some other God-awful material proof at this stage. God save us from Bureaucrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

I was debating whether to try for a few duck this year or not. I'm into deer stalking only but have the tools and access to lands that have duck. And friends with the dog for the job.

But can anyone explain what the layers are, what they mean as regards you can shoot or not in an area? I understand foreshore licence but... what do all these layers mean?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

That's where the confusion is coming in. It stated at the start that it was using the ramsar definition but now it looks by that map that they have included sac's and spa's etc. But nobody knows for definite because it's in the grey area as usual. All the mountain regions seem to be included which doesn't make sense. I emailed looking for clarification but no reply yet

You'll be waiting. NARGC have been looking for clarification from NPWS and our Government representatives for weeks on the subject, and nothing.

We are literally been treated like dog sh*t on their shoes, regarding this.

Post edited by Eddie B on

The mountain ranges. A lot of bogs and whatnot that they claim is wetland up there that has grouse, snipe, woodcock and DEER.So yeah watch out that they don't check your deer rifle ammo too. Remember that's on the agenda as well.

We are literally been treated like dog sh*t on their shoes, regarding this.

What would you expect from a bunch of college-trained office-bound degree-waving hunter and fisherman-hating Green-voting college types? Who wouldn't know a deer snare or a fish trap if they were stuck in one? Would think they could take a few minutes to add to their official website a glossary of terms of this legislation and whether shooting and hunting and fishing is legal on them.

The map is rubbish too. Cant go below 1000 feet, and all definition of where these areas are in relation to landmarks and boundaries is gone.

Definitions on what two areas are I could find on this. ;

Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) under the EU Habitats Directive The Habitats Directive (Directive 92/43/EEC) is an important EU law which aims to maintain or restore the favourable conservation status of certain important and rare habitats and rare, threatened and endemic animal and plant species across Europe. Under the Habitats Directive, Ireland has designated specific sites, which have been scientifically selected as containing important habitats and species which must be maintained or returned to favourable conservation status.

Special Protected Areas (SPAs) under the EU Birds Directive. Special protected areas are created under the EU Birds Directive to protect certain species of wild birds listed under Annex 1 of the Directive. In addition, the Directive prohibits certain activities which are harmful to protected bird species. Together, the network of Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protected Areas are known as the Natura 2000 Network. 

Pochard, Scaup, Pintail, Goldeneye have all been removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Advertisement

Of the four ducks removed from the list.Are or were they that common in Ireland?I've only ever seen once a pintail on Lough Derg and that was well over 40 years ago. Never seen any of the other three here in the West. Enlighten me...

Pintail can turn up anywhere, and a good few on the Shannon during the winter. The hen bird (duck) can easily be mistaken for a duck malard. Goldeneye more a lake duck. Also, numbers on the Shannon, and its lakes. (Can be mistaken for tufted duck). The other two, aren't very plentiful around here, and have never shot either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its clear that none of these species have declined in their wider EU range, and the only reason there are fewer coming to winter as far West as Ireland is cos winters on the continent are far milder then they used to be.

I'm ready to roll in the morning anyway!

Promised very mild and slack winds so I'm not expecting much action but I'm keen to mark the opening of a new season.

Best of luck to all and be safe.

Just one teal for the morning but a combination of factors, including terrible shooting meant the bag didn't get any bigger!

Great morning out, lots of duck moving and presented penty of testing shots to a rusty shooter!

Interestingly enough, I met a couple of NPWS rangers and chatted to one of them about the steel shot. He told me the legislation wasn't in place to enforce the lead ban. He was surprised that we even had steel shot!

Someone has gotten mixed messages on this steel/ lead carry on. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dto001

It was a great morning to be out alright, (nearly got lost in the fog 😅) but a lot of rangers are saying the lead ban is in and NPWS replied to an email for clarification saying I had to interpret the maps myself (basically). I have a sneaky feeling nobody really knows what’s going on😂😂

Interestingly enough, I met a couple of NPWS rangers and chatted to one of them about the steel shot. He told me the legislation wasn't in place to enforce the lead ban. He was surprised that we even had steel shot!

Strange, as this is an EU LAW, not a directive that gives a country leeway to interpret it as they see fit. So the Dail doesn't get to "gold plate" this either. Sounds like no one has briefed the NPWS Rangers on this either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It was signed off last Friday so be very cuiramach.

• Advertisement

On another note, the NPWS are also making a sneaky move to prevent hunting on our bogs. Signs are being erected on many bogs here in the Midlands. Turning them into tourist attractions, and amenity areas fir dog walkers etc.

"trust the science" is obviously as fluid as genders these days depending on your outlook on a particular topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭BSA International

Hopefully he'll not be in power much longer! FFG need to pay a price in next election for facilitating this clown to further his personal vendettas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

What's the preferred alternative so Sinn Fein / Green Alliance, Sinn Fein / Labour Alliance or just Sinn Fein?

• Advertisement

Looking like SF & FF.

As long as FG go I'll be happy! FF going would be a bonus. Greens, opefully they'll be rubbed out again.

Anyone bar the greens. They won't stop, till they take away all forms of country sports. As for Sinn Fein. Well I'd rather risk giving them a go at the steering wheel, than another round of the usual suspects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

According to a local SF councillor, one of their aims is to reduce or eliminate country sports and, ironically, gun ownership.

Lynn Boylan and Eoin O Broin are very strong on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Mississippi.

Remember though,

It was a Fianna Fail junior minister that brought in the FEC and all that went with it.

I plink therefore I am

There has been lots said over the last number of years, true, but they recently voted against a ban on hunting with dogs in Northern Ireland, and are getting a lot of stick for doing so.

If they strongly appose hunting, they had the perfect opportunity to show it with this bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I said I'd come to the people who'd know. Apologies for the off topic, question. Boots?

I'm doing about 14,000 to 20,000 steps a day. Mostly on bad roads. But, I do go through forest and mucky land from time to time. What's the best boots around do you reckon?

I love my Redbacks but I'm thinking there's something better out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Be under no illusion, SF are as bad and I for one am sick of the BS from their so called supporters telling me they support it. SF are anti hunting/shooting and other rural pursuits. They are card carrying antis all you have to do is check out the Ban blood sports webpage:

"A list of some of the Sinn Féin politicians who have indicated that they are opposed to bloodsports."

Question is, in this day and age, are there any parties that are pro hunting? Are we doomed no matter who we vote in?

They will vote with whomever keeps them in. They will implement the policies of the party that keeps them in.

In Dublin 4 they will be anti hunting, in rural Ireland they will be all for the countryside and for you to hunt shoot and fish. Only vote for candidates who will support you and stop voting 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 cut it off .......Noonan got in on the 10th Count in Kilkenny so he barely got in on transfers. If everyone involved in shooting, hunting and fishing and 2 family members were to pick the one or two candidates and only voted 1.2.3 STOP...you will see real change in this country.

That is a very good point. We actually have a government at the moment, that no one really wanted.

Last vote I gave 1 & 2 only. Been doing it for years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

When the time comes we should do up a list by constituency of the top 3or4 that will support us in writing and as public as we can, and give them grades dependent on their support and circulate this here and everywhere

(a bit like the FEC questionaire, where the different orgs suggested answers to the poll)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dto001

Lads in my honest opinion we have to start now message your local councillors and ask them what they themselves and their party think of the recent attacks on rural pursuits. And what they will do for it if they get into office!!

tell them as far as you are concerned a non response is classed as against for both them and their party.

if one club from each constituency does it then put it on FB or one of the groups will go with it, it should gain traction!!!

Read this for a start

• Advertisement
Advertisement