Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Options
  • 01-08-2023 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Deserves a thread as it is a pleasant surprise and deserves to be a success

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem – 7/10

The animation style will quite rightly be compared to Spider-Verse, but it is distinctive enough to hold its own merit. Where Spider-Verse feels like the pages of a comic book being bought to life, this feels more like doodles on a graffiti artists sketchpad. It has a heavy Hip Hop influence and whilst it is not as fluid and kinetic as Spider-Verse, it still has bags of flair and energy. 

It took a while to adjust to the voices of the teenage turtles, especially Donatello. They’re voiced by actual teens who all sound like their voices are on the verge of breaking, so I’m not sure how it’s going to play out when they inevitably make more of them. I guess the Turtles will have to grow with each movie.

Seth Rogen is the man at the helm (writer/producer) and even though it’s clearly aimed at a younger audience (than Spider-Verse), he still manages to cram some oddball humour in there. It gets quite weird and dark at times but is also colourful and tonnes of fun. It isn’t as predictable as a lot of kid’s animations.

Ice Cube voicing the villain ‘Superfly’ and Jackie Chan as 'Splinter' are nice touches and I loved the jukebox Hip Hop soundtrack. If you’ve got a nipper who’s into Turtles, take them to see it. It’s probably the best Turtle related movie ever made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would it be suitable for me to bring the young lad,he's nearly 4 and is Turtles mad

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

It's aimed more at teens. 4 may be a little young but worth a go if he's Turtles mad.

I'd watch a couple of clips online first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm looking forward to catching this, the trailer sold me between the animation and the whole "they actually behave and sound like teenagers" angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

the animated turtles movie from about 2006(?), was excellent, despite the fact they were no longer teenagers any more. Definitely, the best of all the TMNT movies. Least said about the Michael Bay one, the better.

This could be excellent, and Spider-verse has shown that adults do enjoy and appreciate animated movies. They are not the peview solely of the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Yep. I never once felt like I was watching a kids film with either Spider-Verse film. It just feels like they came up with a good Miles Morales story and decided that animation was the best way to tell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Brought my six year old and four year old to see it today, very small crowd in cinema

as for the film , at least it was fairly short , complete and utter garbage, didn’t even like the animation style

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wasn't into this but same (co) director as The Mitchells vs the machines has me interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mutant Rubbish I would say. I will never go watch a cartoon in the cinema sorry. Also its just too short. I have watched series that had longer episodes than that. I agree the multiverse Spider Man was good but I waited till it was on the TV to watch it all will do the same with this and other spide film currently in the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's an hour and 40 minutes. Seems a decent length..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Enjoyable film with enough in it to satiate the older fan but not too over complex to confuse the smallies in the crowd, probably would be held in higher regards if we hadn't had such a strong year for animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Brought the grandkids ( 6 & 9 year old ) to the 4D showing in Cineworld in Dublin today and we all thoroughly enjoyed it , I really liked the animation TBH, and the 4D elements added to the fun.

I like lots of animated movies but hated this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

You should go sew it because its actually a very pleasant surprise. I saw it yesterday and honestly I thought it was better than spiderman across the multiverse (although definitely not as good as "Across the spiderverse"). It's funny, the fight scenes are good and it's got a food heart at its center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Just out of it. Was in a group that was aged from 4 to 50. Everyone loved it. Plenty of humour for all ages and some great visuals. Would give it an 8/10, was pleasantly surprised.

Advertisement