Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPV 4 v IPV 6 - Work Emails/Virgin Media

Options
  • 01-08-2023 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently moved ISP to Virgin, having always been with Eir/Sky previously.

First day WFH using Virgin, outlook struggled to connect and I couldnt get work emails on work laptop.

I got onto IT in work and straight away guy in there asked am I with Virgin and I said yes.He said a lot of other staff on Virgin also had issues and the solution was to ask Virgin to move the connection to IPV 4 from IPV 6.

So I rang Virgin and they made the change.

Checked tonight and I can get the emails no problem, so the change must have worked.

The only thing is the wireless speed has dropped dramatically from around 390mb yesterday day time to around 140mb tonight.

Would this be to do with the change in IPV? Or is it just a coincidence?

I will look to check the wireless speed again in the morning when WFH.

In relation to the IPV setting, is this something my workplace should ultimately be sorting so that our systems can work on IPV 6?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Do you have Ipv6 enabled on your devices network adaptor?

Secondly, open up a command prompt and run this:

ping www.google.com -f -l 1492

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thanks for your reply.

So, when I tried to check whether IPV6 was enabled on work laptop I could not get beyond right clicking properties on the adapter settings, it seems to be looking for an admin password.

I typed in this ping www.google.com -f -l 1492

And the following message came up - Packet needs to be fragmented by DF set.

I have since run a speedtest off a personal laptop which would be using the same Virgin wifi network and can get over 400mb, the work laptop is still only getting around 150mb. There is some sort of Zscaler program on the work laptop and maybe some other programs that must be slowing down the wifi speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Zscaler does a number of things.

One of which is Web Filtering / Protection.

One of the ways it does this is to create a VPN tunnel to a server in the cloud where traffic is scanned and filtered, both outgoing and incoming traffic.

This can slow traffic down.

The fragmentation test that you did above - does it provide the same response on your personal laptop? And does it do the same if connected to a wired connection?

The reason I ask this that some routers are not properly configured for MTU sizes and change will have to be made to the router or to your network adapter. But if you don't have access to the network adaptor settings, that could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inforapenny

Hi, I got the same message on my personal laptop as on the work laptop, both using a wireless connection.

Yes, work must have restricted my access on the work laptop to see the adaptor settings.

To be honest, I can live with the work laptop wifi speed only being around 150mb, as the personal laptop is still getting over 400mb off the same wifi connection.

I was more concerned that changing to an IPV4 would also reduce the speed for the other items (outside of work laptop) that use the home wifi, but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks

Advertisement