Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long notice period

• 01-08-2023 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Today I signed an employment contract that I did not read before signing it. I have been working here for about 1 month. I saw now that the notice period is very long, 4 weeks... I don't like that... now it is too late to correct the problem... .

I want to leave that job soon...how can I bypass the law and state the reason why I can't serve the notice period without going to court? Advice please???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

OK, from now on, never ever sign something you have not read. Yes its thoroughly boring, dense reading material, but read it.

4 weeks is not a long notice period, its standard.

The notice period is not in Law, you will not end up in court. Put in your notice, e.g. "My last day will be X day". Thats it. Many companies nowadays give you gardening leave on the day you tender your resignation, because they dont want people with one foot out the door, hanging around the work environment.

Tender your resignation and stop worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wwwannna

The notice period is not in Law, you will not end up in court...is thet correct?I don't know the laws here, but it says that the employer can sue me and that I have to pay fines...?!

do you have any advice...how I could shorten that notice period?

What mistakes of the employer would be good for me to automatically fire him???

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

Could you take some kind of permissable unpaid leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What says that they can sue you and that you have to pay fines?

Because I bet your contract doesn't say that, not in those words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Four weeks is bog standard, OP. My last notice period was three months.

Also, seriously: read your contracts from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You're on probation still so the notice period isn't relevant, you can just leave tomorrow by saying it's not working out.

Even with 4 weeks notice, or a 3 months another poster had!, if you hand in 2 weeks notice the company isn't going to force you to work the extra notice and they won't sue to make you work the extra time as the case won't be heard quickly. The only thing is that you'll burn all your bridges with the company and Ireland is a small country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nobody wants to have an employee that they have to force to come to work and if you are only starting in the job, then there is no need to even have a hand over to someone new, since you have no knowledge to pass on. So it is very unlikely there will be any legal fall out to your early exit.

That said it's a pretty bad show on your part to sign a contract that you have not read and to accept a position that you don't intent to take up and actively pursue. You are cause the employer extra costs of having to recruit a replacement after only spending on your recruitment and more importantly you are messing up the opportunity for someone else who was really interested in having that job. At least be adult enough to let the employer know your intentions so they don'e wast time and money training up and perhaps revive the opportunity for someone who was actually serious about the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭SteM

I'd be surprised if the next job you get doesn't have the same 4 week notice period at least. Time to grow up, you're not doing paper rounds anymore.

• Advertisement

I've been working there for 5 weeks and only yesterday they gave me a contract with a different date, the date is 1 month earlier, June 28 to be exact, and today is August 2...does that make sense and is it legal at all?

I definitely had the intention of leaving that job because there is too much negativity there, the boss is used to the mentality of the country he is in...Bosnia...and I never planned to stay there after realizing the situation...a new job is waiting for me, and I expected to be fired a deadline of 7 days, because in recent years, all my notice periods have been like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭SteM

Go in today and explain you're not happy and you want to finish straight away. He'll be annoyed but not much he can do. Check your next contract.

I decided to do my notice period, my new employer told me that he will wait for me until I finish it, Conclusion: it is better to be honest and ask, to ask the future employer to wait and be patient. I have 3 days of annual leave and that will also enter the notice period. So that's 25 days...I'll survive it...I've survived worse things in my life, but I have to admit that it will be very difficult for me mentally to work there now for the next 4 weeks...cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

4 weeks is a fairly standard length of notice. Mine is 3 months which is becoming more normal depending on the nature of the role. Usually an employer might work with you if you want to finish earlier but they don't have to as they are using that time to keep the work ticking over while they recruit to replace.

As for how they can sue - it doesn't have to state it anywhere in the contract but you can be sued for breach of contract. That's a standard thing.

As for working out your notice. Just go in, do the hours & leave. You know you're going somewhere else so I would have thought, mentally, that would give you a boost as you know you're getting out of there. It's worse if you're stuck with no exit plan.

Advertisement