Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Upgrade from Ryzen 3600

Options
  • 02-08-2023 10:18am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Right now I have the following spec machine, initially built in 2020 but had 2x SATA SSDs swapped out for a single PCIe one last year.

• Gigabyte B450M Gaming Motherboard
    • Ryzen 5 3600
    • 16GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
    • Geforce 2060
    • Samsung 980 2TB SSD
    • 700W Cooler Master Power Supply

I don't have a lot of clearance for a CPU cooler next to the ram and it's a small case. The stock cooler was crap on the Ryzen 5 3600 so I swapped it out for a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim 2 which fits fine, but not much more space and gives much better temps.

I will replace the whole machine in the middle of next year, but until then I was wondering what peoples suggestions are for a CPU upgrade for productivity stuff more than games. The motherboard will take the Ryzen 5000 series.

Can anyone recommend a Ryzen 5000 series CPU that will give me a decent performance increase but also will not need a massive cooler bearing in mind the clearance issues that I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 7 5700X in 65W ECO mode.

Advertisement