Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Ghouls

• 03-08-2023 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Not sure if this is just RTE but I’ve just turned on Radio 1 with Lord Boucher-Hayes en situ and tge first item is Evelyn O’Rourke reporting from where she’s camped outside the Clonskeagh Mosque about the funeral of that poor girl who died in Monaghan. I know it’s a tragic incident and it’s probably fair that there was extensive reporting from Cloned the past day or two but could the families and friends not be left alone at this stage to bury their loved ones in peace?

It seems to me it’s just ghoulish. I don’t see any great additional value in reports at this stage. Certainly you could report that the funerals are happening but sending people to report in live from the funeral is pretty disgusting in my view. Aside from being very wayward with the chequebook, RTE really have to also deal with this abhorrent ghoulishness. Not alone have we misery slots packed in wherever they’ll fit and often where they won’t but it’s like they actively seek it out. I can’t imagine most of tge radio audience craving this rubbish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Totally disrespectful to the family to intrude by going down to where the funeral is on to report. It’s an utter tragedy what happened. They should let them grieve in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Same as local politicians attending funerals of people they don't know, absolute chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

If there's one thing the Irish have an unhealthy obsession with its funerals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

You’d hope things are changing. I think it’s maybe the case with an older demographic. I’d consider funerals private myself. I don’t really get showing coffins entering churches and broadcasting what the priest says about the deceased. It’s for the benefit of family and friends for one and most don’t know the deceased so it makes little sense. It seems really more about revelling in misery and sadness. I live in hope that the addiction of people like Tubbs to misery slots will put people off this stuff.

• The broadcaster seems to imagine we all need to be absorbed by other people’s tragic situations and grief for our “entertainment” for want of a better term. It’s one thing having Gaybo’s funeral broadcast, another thing a private individual who was afforded “fame” solely on account of a tragedy that befell them.

Whilst featuring, from time to time, items like cancer that could be helpful in encouraging people to seek early diagnosis and treatment, there should be more focus on public education about what new treatments are available, and indeed the discrepancies between people being able to avail of such depending on their health insurance status.

• Advertisement
Advertisement