Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp receipt sent to incorrect email

Options
  • 03-08-2023 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I used my BoI debit card to pay a taxi driver on their SumUp machine. The email receipt was sent to my husband's email address. There is no link between my account and him, so this is quite a serious data breach. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

To follow up, we would suggest contacting the retailer and they can look into this further with you.

Many thanks,

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

How is it a data breach by a bank?

Bank of Ireland have no connection with sum-up. A bank does not issue receipts. If you spend in Tesco, do you think Bank of Ireland sends you the receipt?

People really need to step back and use a little basic common sense before making ridiculous accusations that make no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My guess is your email address and your husband's are almost the same and taxi driver enterered it incorrectly as your husbands, for example...

Michael.Smith@email.com

Michelle.Smith@email.com

This from Sumup...

After processing a successful transaction, you will have the option to send a receipt via email or text message. The screen shown left will pop up automatically. Just add the email address or mobile phone number of your customer and hit the “Send Receipt” button.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

Settle down. It's a data breach by someone, I have been in touch with both SumUp and BoI, and both entities should know about it. You don't know anyone's situation and it could put someone in a dangerous situation if their receipts are sent to an abusive partner, for example. This was a simple taxi transaction and I don't have an abusive partner, so no harm has come in my specific situation but it certainly is a breach if my debit card is connected to someone else's email address, or the SumUp machine has somehow linked two addresses. Not sure why you're so angry? When I spoke to SumUp, they directed me to their data protection division, so they certainly are taking it as a serious breach.

Our email addresses are completely different. I will be reaching out to the taxi driver too. Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

It’s nothing to do with Bank of Ireland except it’s a B of I card.

The email must have been given to the taxi company at some stage. They didn’t get it from nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

You have blamed Bank of Ireland and falsely accused them of a data breach. Funny, despite you trying to cover your error and bring in catastrophising, you make no apology for the false accusation. I see in a previous post you made a similar accusation against a phone provider because you got a spam text.

And a call centre person in sum-up has passed the buck - I assure you they are not taking it seriously as it has nowt to do with them either. The only person with the input details was the taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

If you ordered taxi with one apps ( free now ECT) it must be email address associated with the app account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's you who needs to settle down. You raised this on a public forum and directed it specifically at BOI, who have nothing to do with this. You directly, and incorrectly, accused BOI of a data breach. Perhaps you should edit your OP considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@pat_sconce "And a call centre person in sum-up has passed the buck - I assure you they are not taking it seriously as it has nowt to do with them either. The only person with the input details was the taxi driver."

That's not true. I know a person experiencing the exact same issue with SumUp. In his case he gave another friend's email address for the receipt to be sent to when making a purchase on her behalf and now, every time he makes a purchase with that card at a provider using Sum Up for processing, SumUp sends a receipt to his friend. It's happening at coffee shops, in taxis, at markets etc.

In this case it's likely that either the OP is using the joint card that shares a number with a card her husband uses, or her husband's email has been used to receive a receipt for a previous SumUp purchase on that card. It's nothing to do with the taxi driver.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your measured response.

I did not use an app to book the taxi, I flagged one down. I did not input any details, the only thing that happened was that I tapped my card, which is not a joint card with anyone. I did not even give my exact address as I asked the driver to stop at the entrance to my estate. I did not request a receipt either.

In my opinion I have not directly accused BoI either, I asked if they had any ideas? Cool that a comment I posted over a decade ago before scam texts were common is being brought up to derail my query though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It looks like SumUp retain information linking card numbers to email addresses if an email receipt was ever requested at some point in the past. So I suspect that is exactly what happened. Maybe something like OP was with her husband in a shop, paid for something using SumUp then walked off, assistant asks husband if they wanted an email receipt and he says yes and gives them his email.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭andydurnin

Hi. dose anyone here know how to sign up to sumup, like what documents do i need, as i do not have a business but need one for my craft stall on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

At some point in the past "someone" used your card with SumUp, perhaps a different merchant, and gave your husbands email address.

SumUp really should not retain contact info, and certainly not allow this detail to "follow" the card to a different merchant. You might enquiry with a Data Protection Officer with the Data Protection Commission.

And as other have commented, this is certainly a SumUp issue, and nothing to do with BoI.

"At some point in the past "someone" used your card with SumUp, perhaps a different merchant, and gave your husbands email address."

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just go to the SumUp site, and click the button to create an account, it will ask you for any requirements as you sign up.

Advertisement