Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to put an old Vodafone HG658c into operation as a router

• 04-08-2023 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have dug out an old Vodafone HG658c ADSL modem router and it has a WAN socket on it and I have been tryng to turn it into just a router (wireless router) instead of a Modem Router - is it possible with this one?

So I have ip bridged the ETH Internet B VID 10 and you can see it says 'Connected' in the setup page I have screenshotted below but its not transmitting wireless my internet connection. My laptop has connected up wirelessly to the HG658c but it says 'Connected - no internet' in my taskbar and just the world icon instead of signal bars

Can this router be configured to be just a router and not a modem router or does it have to be hooked up to ADSL to work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Are you trying to make it to act as an Access Point, to work alongside your current router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

here is what I am trying out (although not seeming methodical) - I am just trying to get the Vodafone Huawei to work as a wireless router as opposed as a ADSL Modem wireless Router:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I like to keep things simple, so perhaps try:

1. uncheck the WAN connection in the screen shot above
    2. disable any DHCP on the Vodafone
    3. plug the extender into a LAN port on the Vodafone
    4. just for sh!ts and giggles, reboot the Vodafone
    5. be connected on the laptop

I've done this with an old Archer C9 router in my network and it works well for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It would be called AP mode , not router mode

I would add:

. set HG658c with static IP in the range of home network(for ease to access/manage in the future) in the "LAN host settings", high number like 192.168.xxx.253

Advertisement