Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC23 Warmups - Ireland v Italy, Sat 5th Aug, KO 8PM - TV: RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player, Amazon Prime Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Earls makes the plane as a Utility Back, I'd have Crowley ahead of Byrne, Blade, McCloskey & Killer didn't do themselves any favours. Stockdale will get another opportunity, he'll need to grab it.

It would be interesting to know what Farrell was testing by putting Crowley to FB and Frawley to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Here is a fare assessment by rugbypass . There were alot of terrible performances by senior Irish players, and there were alot of poor performances by up and coming players trying to stake their claim. Andy farrells post match interview is worth looking at if you are under the delusion that this was a positive game for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bartkingcole

Sounds like it was a lot better than the equivalent 2007 game.

Ireland's warm-up leaves onlookers distinctly

cold

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ireland isn't going to be caught like the Italians last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement

Based on thst game Earls is not on the plane. Mccloskey and killer had decent games tonight ?

Frawley is a really talented player but unfortunately he completely fullffed his lines tonight. Not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It really looked like a double pivot, up until Henshaw went off and Frawley moved to centre. Shame Casey couldn't stay on longer and we might have seen the two OHs work with speedier delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

overall was impressed. that wasn't a first string or even a second string Ireland bar a couple of players. So it's good to see Ireland has lots in reserve across the park come this world cup

yea, agree with this.

For Ireland I would like to see Frawley and Stockdale work... 2 physical lads that should be able to play a bit of rugby... tonight didn't help. 1 more chance for each, please Farrell.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Who said the game was all positive? Plenty to work on with good/bad/mediocre performances from the players.

The only delusion here is you thinking this match and result in particular means Ireland have no hope in the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’d say it was as simple as wanting to look at Frawley at 10. And that was the only way to do it.

"Caolin Blade gave a good account of himself when he came on"

**moves to recycling bin**

It's a very bad sign when your 2 best players on the pitch before the game are the only 2 players to shine in the game... the rest of the team underperformed

And that is excluding henshaw who had a terrible game by his standards..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think it's fair to say Earls is the reliable cog in the machine while Stockdale is attempting but failing to be something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Who would they be then?

Not arguing what people thought of different players performances. Some of it is subjective and there's always personal bias, it's part and parcel.

But, one pre tournament game in these players first outing for 2+ months = don't bother with World Cup lads, this one game is all the proof I need to dismiss this team. Come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

Edit - Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Also see Crowley at 15 and as a second playmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good win and a real 'family day out' which is probably one of the advantages of these games' as there so affordable

• Advertisement

Very relevant actually. History and learning from past mistakes is everything.

Do you honestly think that POC is not thinking about what went wrong in 2007 (in France). Or Farrell on what went wrong for England in 2015?

Another similarity with 2007 is the level of expectation was through the roof. A belief by many fans that we could win the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

2007, when Ireland were ranked 5th in the world?

I don't think anyone outside Ireland thought they were capable then, but you'll always have those who hope for the best.

Not remotely close to the situation this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

€60 for a seat behind the goal is affordable???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Frawley has been miles off the pace since he came back from injury.

in 2007 6N, we were within a few points difference of winning the championship - we had a massive win against England and narrowly lost to France with wins on the road against Wales, Scotland and Italy. In the Autumn internationals we had beaten both South Africa and Australia. It was a good team and we did not even get out of the group - in fact it was a disaster on many levels with players arguing in the pitch, and complaints about the team hotel/base.

We have no guarantees we will even get out of the group this time. And then you have Matt Williams talking about strategic selections on who we should try to play in the quarter final.

Nash is a real talent with great pace and should be on the plane ahead of Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting to see perceptions of the performances and how they stack up against the statistics. I personally thought Baird wasn't great but I see he was our most successful carrier. I suspect I attributed some of his carries to Doris.

Kilcoyne was very quiet aside from his try (which I'm not sure was a try). Him travelling depends on whether they want to take 8 or 9 front row players. Got on the ball for a few solid carries but collapsing the first scrum was not a great look for him. He's in competition with the likes of Prendergast/Coombes for a spot more than any other prop.

Bizarre to see anyone say Conan didn't go well. He was getting through a huge amount before he went off. At half time he topped the tackle count and made more metres and carries than any forward. For context, Doris didn't make as many metres in 80 as Conan did in 35mins. Took a big hit to his back with some deft handling too. Would be a significant loss if the injury proves serious.

With that said, Doris is playing top level stuff. He's such a critical player and I'm not sure the position is as important as some thing. He's able to hugely influence the game at the breakdown from any spot although Italy were very sloppy at their own rucks.

I thought both halfbacks went really well and our attack lost shape when they departed/moved. Just calm and smooth without anything outrageous. Casey's kicking game continues to improve and Crowley offers a threat to the line Byrne cannot.

Of the other guys who aren't already on the plane, Stockdale had a mixed bag. Thought he was on the positive side overall until that shocking tackle effort. Earls was less mixed but less eye catching in any regard. Had his own poor tackle effort for a try. I think he travels at this point due to lack of alternative options. For him to be left out, they would need to take two of Stockdale, Nash, McCloskey, Osborne and Frawley. I don't see it happening.

McCloskey was mixed but I'd give him a slightly more positive review. A couple of big breakdown plays and the try will stand to him. Got through a mountain of defensive work too.

Prendergast was quiet enough. Worked hard, put himself about but never had a moment where he really jumped out.

McCarthy put his hand up for a plane ticket in a big way. He was good (Henderson was definitely better, for me) but he also didn't do anything stupid which has been a feature of his past showings. McCarthy and Baird going 80 at lock and blindside respectively suggests that's where they're being seen by the management and makes McCarthy travelling a strong possibility now.

Yea, I agree with a lot of that.

With respect to Doris, he could have been playing prop or winger, and he still would have been man of the match. He is just a magnificent rugby player. I wouldn't get too carried away with the no7 on his back.

Conan played well, but he does that against teams that don't turn up.

Crowly and Casey were excellent. I would like to see Crowley play with JGP in the 3rd warmup game. That will tell us alot more than yesterday.

Italy are in the same group as France and NZ, they need to get their collective sh!t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think we learned a whole lot last night tbh, things got so disjointed in the second half that it was hard to really get much out of it.

In the first half anyway, Casey was the standout for me, thought his delivery was really crisp and his handing in wet conditions was excellent.

I'm not sure about Stockdale, apart from that aerial take, I thought he was disappointing; got invovled in plenty but made a few bad decisions. I thought Earls was going better but his non-tackle for the try was worrying.

McCarthy was impressive, doing exactly what we all knew he could and going 80 minutes, and Henderson had a great shift too.

Crowley was good, the idea of him and Frawley alternating positions sounds great in theory but I'm not sure it worked and it didn't help either of them. Frawley did OK but he'd need another run to press his case.

Overall, I don't know if any of the selection debates were really settled.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

You and Beur have summed up my thoughts pretty much. Will be interesting to see what the England selection is.

Advertisement