Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to record Satellite programs.

Options
  • 05-08-2023 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭

Firstly thanks for viewing this question. After a number of years I've managed to persuade the wife to ditch Sky. Having bought her a new TV (Which has a sat rec) and hooked up the Satellite everything's grand. Unfortunately the only problem is the inability to record.

We have a twin LNB dish. I wonder what would be the best device to use.

It would have to be user friendly. With the ability to record one channel whilst watching another. Pause and rewind would be a plus.

Thanks again.

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

A Freesat box is similar to Sky, pause, rewind, record, series record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Freesat boxes are excellent but won't have saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If the TV has 2 screw on satellite connections it probably has basic, limited record function built in once an external HDD is connected. A FreeSat branded box is the next choice and offers plug and play setup. However as mentioned FreeSat does not include the Irish Saorview channels and some other freely available satellite ones. The favourite choice here is the Zgemma H7S triple tuner combo box that has full 7 day EPG for all channels, satellite and Saorview, series linking, watch one while recording several other, etc etc. However it needs a bit of work to setup and there is a bit of a learning curve. It's simple enough for anyone who is comfortable with PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you do go for a FreeSat box remember you will need to switch between the HDMI port and the TVs internal tuner to go between Saorview and satellite. Some find this cumbersome. Also, you will not be able to record Saorview channels.

Regardless of which setup you go for, you will also need a conventional aerial for the Saorview channels.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thanks for the answers. I think a Freesat box might be the answer reading the replies. Herself liked the useability of the Sky box. It might be the easiest answer. I'll check the prices online. Thanks again.

Advertisement