Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renaming Dublin's rail lines after people

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not know any Chinese characters other than Chairman Mao, or Chou en Lai, or Chairman Xi, - so that would limit the choice for me. Xi is a bit too close to Twitter's new name, so that might not be allowed.

How many railway lines are there in Dublin, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

I think that Cork, Limerick and Galway should have more than one station each (Cork arguably already has more than one if you count Little Island and Glounthane). If and when they have multiple stations each, it will make sense to give each station a unique name to avoid confusion. For example, if a station is built in Moyross in Limerick, the city will have two stations, so neither should be just called Limerick Station. The existing station would still be the main station for Limerick, but it should still have a name that distinguishes it from other stations. It would probably be more helpful to rename it after the street it's on or the local area (Parnell Street and Prior's Land respectively according to Google maps) but I don't think it matters too much whether it's called Limerick Colbert or Limerick Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither of them would ever be called Limerick Station. One in Moyross would be called Moyross and Colbert would still be Colbert

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Exactly. It would be confusing if one was just called Limerick Station. That was my point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Isn't one called Limerick Junction - just to confuse the tourists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's the junction for Limerick, not at all confusing.

I don't know anyone who actually calls Limerick "Colbert" outside of officialdom, one of the 1966 renamings that failed to catch on popularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Luas Green line - The Anto line

Luas Red line - The Jacintaahhhh line

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Thankfully now known as HJ & Donaghmede.

The HJ part will be phased out soon enough, I guess.

Advertisement