Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Bucket list, I detest that phrase ... What a nonsense, take a selfie and tick it off the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭spakman

Not sure if already said (not reading 26 pages to find out!):

"What's for you won't pass you"

Does people genuinely believe that shite? It really annoys me yhe way people say it like it's an explanation for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'll say a prayer for you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 39,820 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

”do you work here ?” This bugged me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Shop assistant: That's €10 "when you're ready" 😠

Get lost, you can see I'm ready!

TV host: Joining me today "In Studio" is ...

Wrecks my flecking brain every time they say it, like we can see your guest is in the Studio, totally needless utterance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

'Proud sponsors of' - drop the self-congratulation and say 'sponsors of'

'Lived experience' - what other kind is there?

'Best' - signing off an email

'Smallies' - referring to children

'Super' - as a pre-fix

Overuse of 'excited' particularly in work context - ya big lick

'Moving the dial' - groan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What's "flecking" in this context?

Marked with, or flecked with?

Your brain is with colour specks or contrast oddities? Imperfect?

shop assistant is just being polite. I assume they say that so as not to make the customer feel under pressure if they're trying to pack bags, deal with kids etc

No, not buying that theory, as you can be holding your credit card ready to tap, and they say it anyway - so it's purely a silly habit that's sprung-up in recent years along with "Have a nice day" which is equally insincere, specially when it's said at 7pm!

Pleasentries and politeness are of course welcome, it's just the "Auto" response that kills me .... Have a nice day 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You want them to ask your life story and have a meaningful and deep conversation when your buying a spicy curry and bog roll?

• Advertisement

No idea what you mean,

Life story?

Do the shopping, go to the till and pay, be polite possibly manage a smile, say thank you and you're off .....

yeah they should be more genuine and say "Jaysis, you look like a grumpy fecker"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"You're grand" is one that annoys me. I'm "grand"? Really? How do you know that? What if I'm not "grand"? Are you trying to shut me up?

I even get it in my job (IT) when I'm trying to explain something to someone. Never mind me: you're not "grand", that's why I have to explain this thing to you! 🤨

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

“Mind yourself”

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭blackvalley

So someone is trying to put you at ease by saying “ you’re grand “ and you take it as a personal insult. Holy divine fkuc there are some very touchy people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

"LIKE" , jaysus that word is just too often used in the wrong context ! Just saying LIKE !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When did Prefix get a hyphen? Must be a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Around the same time as synergy !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The “ 12.50 when you’re ready “ thing is a hate. It’s almost saying “ well I’m ready, can you be too, there are 8 people in the Q, give us the money come on ! “

” I was ready 3 minutes ago but as you only bothered your hole to have one till open cause you are tight cûnts, here ya go “..

” 12.50 thanks “ or “ that’s 12.50 please “….. civil, professional courteous…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Carbon footprint

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭ottolwinner

“Reaching out to my followers”

”fan base”

Alright cult leaders want their phrases back.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

The use of ‘dropped’ to mean arrived or launched.

When I hear that a new TV series has ‘dropped,’ my first thought is that it has been cancelled and won’t be back for a new season. 😡

Here here & well said, it irritates me too!

Dropped me arse, everybody is now saying dropped, a bit like my reference to "When you're ready", or "Have a nice day". These sayings are parrot like, people hear them & repeat them without any thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads wishing you the best of luck when you're playing them in a golf or football match or any sport. No way do they mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

Paying for something like a coffee in a service station, and to be asked “any fuel “ only to hear a recording ask if you have got”any petrol or diesel.” every singe time.

It's a contronym, so there is room for confusion. But if you are aware of the two opposite meanings, your first thought should lead you to the right conclusion by recognising the context.

"When you're ready" or "In your own time" is useful for people serving the public. In circumstances where the customer is concentrating on a phone call or texting. Both parties need to pay attention to the transaction to avoid mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

“Can I just tell you …”

and it’s not a question

• Advertisement
Advertisement