Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amercanisms such as "Awesome", "My Bad" annoy me.

As well as using the word "pissed" to be angry instead of drunk.

And saying something like " Go to bed already" when Irish people never use already that way.

Pants as word for trousers

Other things:

Illegal immigrants for legit asylum seekers or legal immigration applicants.

White emigrants calling themselves ex pats when they emigrate.

Referring to someone being from a parish rather than a town or village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Deregos.

"No comment" every time a suspect says that when police are interviewing them, I wish they were given a little electric shock.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When politicians say they don't recall something.

Yes you do recall you dirty lying rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Needmoretea

I am guilty of occasionally using the word "already" at the end of a sentence 🙂

The expat /immigrant one is interesting though, you do hear the word expat a lot especially in those nice home in Spain TV programmes. Is there any real difference between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Needmoretea

Two things that annoy me, not so much said but written :

"why don't pictures like this trend" - usually on Facebook with a sad or nice picture

Assumptions in little entertainment news articles for example "celebrities you didn't know were LGBT", "stuff you missed in (insert at appropriate) film", "what you have been doing wrong" with X activity. How do the writers know what you have been doing wrongly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

"Millons" instead of "Millions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just like that raging lunatic Marjorie Taylor Green being questioned during a hearing to censure here for the most outlandish comments. She knew that she couldnt lie under oath so every answer was "I dont recall"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

These kernts who call 'Galway' as 'Gollway' need a deck shoe lodged up their hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Usually to protect the identity of the victim. Particularly if the victim is a child.

Seems fair to me TBH.

Also if the accused is under 18. They'd be named if found guilty, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Referring to the currency as "yo-yos". It wasn't funny ten years ago and isn't funny now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wellness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I' ve NOo respect for him / her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Always found people who described themselves as ex-pats were just temporarily resident in another country, while emigrants and immigrants were people who relocated to a different country and intended to remain there on a permanent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The big difference might be the amount of money they have in the bank. An immigrant here would be struggling to get by, while many ex-pats would be gone to Benidorm or wherever to retire. The cost of living would be lower, so their savings/pension would go further.

That doesn't mean that Irish people abroad wouldn't be struggling too, but if they're doing alright, they might see themselves as ex-pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe, but I've never heard someone refer to a foreigner from eastern Europe as an ex-pat, regardless of their intention to return to Poland some day. Likewise I've never heard an old English person living in Spain refer to themselves as anything except an ex-pat regardless of whether they intended to live the test of their lives in Spain.

I've always seen it as a superiority issue. The "superior" class of people see themselves as enriching the Spanish by their presence in Spain. Where they might or might not tolerate the inferior class of people who emigrate/immigrate

There are YouTube videos of English people retired in Spain who call themselves ex-pats, unironicly saying they voted for Brexit because there were too many immigrants in England

Video Below is infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Charlo30

When someone is described as "suffering with their nerves." In other words has mental health issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is no hyphen in Expatriatre / Expat.

"ex-

In general, no hyphen when using this prefix in the sense of “out of”: excommunicate, expropriate.

Hyphenate when using 

ex- in the sense of “former”:  ex-convict, ex-president."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Prolly.. Please stop writing this it's probably for heavens sake

Too late now, the working classes have infected our language.

Origin:

• The first known use of prolly in English dates back to the early 17th century.
    • It was originally used as a slang term by sailors and other working-class people.
    • Over time, prolly became more widely accepted and is now used by people of all ages and social classes.

Usage:

• Prolly is commonly used in spoken English, but it can also be used in informal written communication.
    • It is often used in combination with other informal words and phrases, such as "kinda", "sorta", and "maybe".

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

People who use the wrong word.

For example, I was listening to a sports commentary and the commentator in question described the action as pedantic.

It was clear that he meant pedestrian but couldn't be bothered to used a word that he understood.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭50HX

🤣🤣

Along with " the winners then will play Kurry"

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rowantree18

"comfortable " a relatively recent US import.......everyone now goes on about how they're "not comfortable" with this or that, or "levels" of comfort or some shite.

Comfortable used to be about clothes, shoes or furniture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Receipts

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

Being accosted by young ladies behind the GAA club youth disco asking if me they will 'meet' their friend? In my day it was called the 'shift'. Or maybe I should find somewhere else to lurk in the shadows on a Friday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And u hated that???

That was the sole purpose of existing when we were kids.

A funny story about me and a mate meeting two young ones one time.

As per usual it was all set up beforehand ( this time a day or two before).

On the day we were going meeting the girls, who were on holiday in our area, my mate got bitten/stung by a horsefly on the eye.

Undetered, he soldiered on but unfortunately for him, by the time we met the girls, his eye had gotten so bad, that now it looked like a giant swollen fanny on his face..

To say the girl he was meeting wasn't so keen anymore would be an understatement 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭moonage

Maybe it was a mistake, or maybe he knows his dictionary.

What It Means

1 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned.

2 : unimaginative, pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

Yeah, the choice of words used by the youth-of-the-nation in place of the for plain-old 'lobbing the gob' tends to boil my pi$$, even now. A 'swollen fanny' is beyond comprehension! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

And Malcom Mc Arthur walked free as a result 🙄

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
Advertisement