Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I figured out who the samoan scrum half reminds me of

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dupont fractured cheekbone confirmed. That's a ~6 week recovery?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The handling in this game is beyond woeful. I get that it's wet but Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any reason known for such an early kick-off time? It's the only game today and the French generally seem to like 9pm games.

It's doesn't particularly suit either teams home fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think Argentina are the biggest disappointment of the world cup.

The have a very experienced coach who im starting to think is just a bluffer. They have wins over big nations the last few years. They have great players playing for some great teams. They are in a relatively easy group and they look completely headless and tactically unaware.

To be honest they are just an embarrassment to some of the teams that have worn that jersey previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Argentina would be doing well to get out of the pool at this stage the way they are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Cheika was a very good coach in his day, has nothing to offer these days. Getting by on reputation alone for a while now, much like Gatland and EJ.

Argentina have to choose their next coach carefully. I wonder would Townsend be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭ersatz

they still display amazing skills and vision but the nuts and bolts are terrible plus way too many handling errors. I think Cheika is double jobbing a bit too much. International coaching is not something to do while you are simultaneously running a clothing empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Triple jobbing. He coached Lebanon at the rugby league world cup last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Enzokk

What are the top structures like at World Rugby? I assume it will be mainly people from the big nations, which will inevitably mean it will be hard for them to make decisions that goes against their home nations. Add in that rugby isn't that big of a money maker when you go outside of the big nations, it means that you will have the environment where they are trying to grow the game but they are doing it with both hands tied behind their back and its not something they want to be doing willingly either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭OldRio

It has to be said but there's an awful amount of utterly dreadful rugby on display. Some of the teams that make the quarter finals are going to be hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Unfortunately the awful teams will be playing each other in the quarters so some are guaranteed to be in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

I actually think all the quarters will be very evenly matched due to the draw. There's very little between Ireland, France, South Africa and New Zealand. While on the other side there's not much between Wales, Fiji, Australia, Argentina and England. Any of those teams could easily make the semifinal.

Now, the semi-,final is different. But I do think the pressure of a semi-final will help even things up a bit, but still should be comfortable enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure WR would point to all sorts of initiatives being run to promote the game in non-traditional nations, and doubtless they are trying, but I'd argue whether there's a cohesive, targeted strategy behind it all to pull up Tier 2 standards and make competitions more unpredictable. The nature of rugby is there are closed doors, it's built into the competitions.

That proposed tournament to replace the summer and autumn windows has met with criticism; I can't remember how the suggested promotion / relegation is supposed to work WRT Tier 2 nations, but certainly having it in summer will kill off any chance of Tier 1 tours, as was suggested earlier re. The Wolfhounds.

Georgia score after 90 seconds against Portugal, in Toulouse. Looks like a brilliant atmosphere there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

All Blacks with a Georgian of course. David Havili 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Poor Portugal can't seem to figure how to wrestle with Georgia. Have they even had any sustained periods in Georgia's half?

Edit: and just as I type all that, they score. Well then.

oh no... a card would ruin this game now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Looked like a tired attempt at a tackle rather than malicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Thats the game now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Portugal are poor without the ball. Really shocking tackling.

But they're able to throw it around, and look a bit more dangerous going forward than Georgia.

Expect Georgia to outmuscle them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Portuguese try could easily have been a penalty try for the high tackle. You'd hate to see a try taken off an individual but if the missed conversion comes back to bite them it could be worse.

Perfect example of an incident that deserves post try penalty as well.

That's where these small in goal areas would piss you off. Proper size pitch and Portugal would probably have scored that.

Decent start to the second half from them though, hopefully they can put it up to Georgia now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Portugal could overhaul Georgia here

Ah, think they were in there if he'd passed outside.

that passage of play was great fun.

Plenty of mistakes, but this is great fun to watch. Roaring at the TV for Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Beautiful rugby from Portugal

Advertisement