Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm cheering for a Uruguayan win, no question. The better team with a more obvious upward trajectory; fair play to the Namibians for putting their best foot forward, especially with such a poor schedule, but they and African rugby has nowhere to go ATM. Better to see Uruguay finish strong and earn the right to tell World Rugby "we're here, we're consistently moving forward; c'monnnnnnn...".

Heck I believe their coach even said Uruguay's aim against NZ is to win the game? Obvious fantasy stuff, but you also gotta admire the intent as well: I doubt they gave France the shock they did through humility in the dressing room. Victories start with a winning mentality, and if they can't stir themselves up to think why not? then what's the point in competing at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What are we thinking the fan split is going to be for the Scotland game? Obviously not as lopsided as the SA game, but do we know how well the Scottish fans travel? We also know how resourceful Irish fans can be when it comes to obtaining tickets...

I guess a lot of folk will have gotten the Stade de France 3 game pack, which I myself got back in the initial sale... so here's hoping we outnumber the Scots on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

My picks for upsets this week are Italy over NZ, Chlie over Argentina and Portugal to beat Australia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sa v Tonga will be my first ever WC game so hoping it will be a bit of a competitive fixture and not a 100-point blowout.

Romania have shipped a heap of injuries. Scotland could well run up quite a score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,750 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not up to speed on the length of bans. But this does seem more severe, does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

12 matches and not reduced would have been more appropriate. This reduction nonsense needs to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Jacovs

You mean you HOPE Italy beat NZ. That would knock NZ out and leave a probable Ireland vs Italy quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Haha. No I hope NZ win but I have a bad feeling Foster is going to "achieve" a few more firsts. First loss to Italy and first pool stage exit would be an appropriate end to Foster's career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Jacovs

That would be a disaster for SH rugby. Australia already more or less out. If Italy beats NZ then thats them out. Argentina looks hopeless and slim chance of getting to QF.

That would leave only SA, Fiji and maybe Samoa.

Cant imagine 2 of the big 3 SH teams getting knocked out at pool stage (its not lost on me that it could be 3 of 3, or SA could be 2 of the 3).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Not a hope Italy are beating NZ. Would potentially be fantastic for us but it's fantasy stuff.

NZ on a good day beat Italy by 50+

They'll be a force in this world cup yet, still comfortably inside the top 4 quality teams in it, they haven't fallen to Australia levels or anything.

Bizzare to see so many Irish people almost discounting them in quarter final because they're not as good as they used to be

Their best teams over last 20 years comfortably better than anything in this world cup in my opinion. Now they are 1 of 4 with an equal chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Nobody's discounting New Zealand. People simply stating, given the choice of New Zealand or France in the quarters, you'd rather face New Zealand.

Namibia's Retief ruled out if their last game after a spider bit him on the chest at his hotel and it got infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres plenty of people I have heard doing it, not on boards but when I was out for the SA match last week. I am certainly not discounting them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Italy aren't there yet. There have been a few false dawns for Italy kicking it up a notch, and still feel a good 10 years away from the presumed target of Top-Tier-1 level; even with the home crowd I'd sooner give them a chance against France than NZ. France feel like a team you could catch on an off day (hello Uruguay), whereas even on an off day I think NZ are just too strong for this Italy. They have the talent to maybe score a couple of tries, but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Cant imagine 2 of the big 3 SH teams getting knocked out at pool stage (its not lost on me that it could be 3 of 3, or SA could be 2 of the 3).

Just thinking about that and what permutations it would require to knock SA out, and essentially if they only get a 4 point win against Tonga (I know how highly unlikely that is, but 'if' it did happen), we can knock them out by letting Scotland get a bonus point victory against us, and we could even give Scotland that victory and still top the group (with a 4 try bonus point & a losing bonus point)... and even if we lost with no bonus points, we still go through in 2nd place to Scotland and SA are on the flight home because of our head to head...

So lets say in the closing stages we are beating Scotland 20-15 (us with 4 tries, Scotland with 3 tries). We have possession when the clock goes to 80, we 'turnover possession' and let them run in under the sticks for a try they'll convert, they beat us 22-20 they get 5 points and we get 2, we finish on 16 points, Scotland on 15 & SA on 14 (I'm assuming Scotland get the 5 points against Romania).

Would we do that? Should we do that? Would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The two teams most seriously impacted by the draw are Italy and scotland. Neither have serious aspirations to win, but both could have gone a decent way in the competition with a better draw. As said elsewhere, Ireland, SA, NZ and France all believe they can win and so have to beat the top teams at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I heard no one discount New Zealand when I was at the south Africa game. Lots of people talking about our New Zealand quarter final which means they are discounting Scotland.

I've honestly not heard anyone talk about the semi final yet as no one is really confident of getting past the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Yep. Agree. Portugal has the potential to lose that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Who cares what fans think or say? The management and squad will take every game seriously. They won't be discounting anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,914 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not a chance you do that. Your team are there to score as much as possible and win. Putting any thoughts of throwing a match is setting us up to perform below top level.

We beat South Africa, we believe we will beat them again if we meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Portugal could do a number on Australia but I’d expect more a close run thing than a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,914 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on Portugal, the amount if work being done to improve in that country is incredible. I have two friends out there coaching full time. I was offered a job out there earning twice as much as I currently earn in my regular job.

I couldn't take it, not willing to uproot or be away from my family for long periods.

I've never worked professionally at any sport. If the offer comes again in four years time I'll take it as I'll be retired.

The Italy of the 2nd half v Uruguay were decent. If they play the way they did in the first half they'll be badly beaten by NZ. Even if they play as they did in the second half v Uruguay it'll be comfortable for NZ.

While NZ are a notch down on 2011 and 2015 they are still a fine team. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the won the WC. Though on all evidence France, SA and ourselves seem ahead of them. Most bookies have the 4 teams at 9/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

New Zealand are at their lowest ebb in about 20 years, yet they're still one of the best sides in the world and I think we'd only be favourites to win by a whisker.

They've great loose forwards and outside backs. They'll beat anyone if their front 5 gets dominance or at least parity. But that's their biggest issue imo. It's just not a set of 5 forwards that are as good as their peers. Or at least haven't shown to be as good recently.

Good start for the Welwitschias

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Are we already starting the prospect of talking up our opposition for the QF in order to minimise expectation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Last pass there looked very forward

• Advertisement

Well we're already taking like we've qualified for the QF so we need to balance that out.

Advertisement