Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭jacool

I'll send you on a dictionary there, just so you understand the difference between confidence and arrogance.

When you are ranked as the No.1 team in the world, you can be confident. The reality of having to play against triple-world champions means you can't be arrogant. I certainly didn't see any arrogance on display.

In the end, a bad "non-call" on the foul on Aki, and the inability to ground a ball when over the line are the finest of fine margins.

A bad draw, where the best 4 teams meet each other at the QF stage. Argentina and England not complaining, but can't see either getting to the final. NZ now know Argentina very well, and England will either be outplayed or outmuscled, dependant upon the FRA-SA outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Not at all annoying that England made a semi final of a world cup having only had to play Argentina, Japan, Samoa and Fiji.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Nasty comment, no need for it,if you have a beef with a post/ poster be a man and specify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

They'll be outmuscled and outplayed by either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

Notwithstanding the draw was awful, It really doesn’t matter who played who once the tournament commences. There wont be an asterisk beside any team and the record will show we reached the QF and England reached a SF etc etc.

It’s hard to accept but we’ve no other option but to suck it up for now.

• Advertisement

Exactly that. Thankfully it will only be those who don't know much about rugby that will believe the record is accurate. Any rugby fan out there will know in reality how much of a sham this whole draw has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

You like many others got sucked into the no. 1 team in the world mindset. Throw in a media playing on the tribalism, well, it is what it is.

I've enjoyed 3 pulsating matches this weekend with hopefully the cream to come tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s true, but when people are trying to paint Ireland as serial losers who have a psychological block about getting past a QF it’s important context to say the draw created such a lopsided situation to guarantee Ireland a semi final type game regardless of winning their group or not.

Go off and take the high ground. I stand by my comments, just the usual anti English attitudes on show by some posters, and too many to mention, who can't come to terms with last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,790 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We were No 1. by virtue of the method used to arrive at that.

A 17 win streak gives you the right to be confident.

No team in the history of rugby or any sport keeps winning indefinitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure name someone so they can reply or **** off to a more suitable forum rather than random insults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ireland wouldn't have beaten Fiji last night the way we played.

England took every point they needed, when they needed to and saw the QF out. Huge congrats to them, they have a know how to win that Ireland don't have.

It's not inconceivable that it could be an England Argentina final. Most of those England players have been here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Qwertyup64

There's zero chance Ireland would have lost to Fiji last night

So you are putting Fiji on par with NZL?

Argentina and England will get their asses handed to them next round.

Too many to mention and no, I'm not going back to read them all again. As plain as daylight.

And after the arrogance and all you sheep lapping it up, reading this stuff, I'm delighted we lost, although a win double on Argentina and New Zealand made it even sweeter.

No Idea what **** must be, but as it's 4 letters, I can only assume. What a low life you must be in real life. Disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Delighted we lost?

Wow!

If there was any proof the world is full of miserable ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Never understood the fascination with the World Cup, sure it is a good examination to see where you are but so much comes down to luck it should not be taken as seriously as it is. In 1995 South Africa should probably have lost the semi in a match that should not have been played to a decision on a no-try from a referee that got a gold watch from the head of South African Rugby at the time. Not the referee in the final, the referee in the semi that went ahead in dangerous conditions and where a no-call for a try was made. Then New Zealand had players fall ill before the match.

In 2007 the best team South Africa had to beat was England, who lost to Ireland by 30 points in the Six Nations earlier in the year to wind the World Cup. South Africa lost 49-0 in 2006 to Australia. In 2019 South Africa lost to New Zealand in the pool stages and got lucky to avoid Ireland in the QF and then New Zealand in the final again. That is the kind of luck you need when you are not at your best and Ireland just haven't gotten the luck and have not used it in the past when they had it.

I am still of the opinion that putting so much value to a tournament that can be decided by a referee decision or injuries is taken way too seriously as a measure of how good your team is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You either win the world cup or you don't, it's very binary, the stage you get knocked out is pretty irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

“Delighted we lost” You’re not really Irish are you if you’re saying that and getting annoyed by people saying England are awful. Enjoy your winnings while you have them, the bookies get it back with interest in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I can understand some Irish people being happy the team lost, there is nothing that says you have to support the national team/players/individuals whenever they compete. But I cannot understand the glee and bragging and what seems to be to revel in others pain. Be happy in silence that you got to see your national team lose and won money on that bet, being boastful about it just seems petty and weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,790 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Have been looking forward to this game since the pools.

Fascinating. I suppose the ‘experts’ will be in to twll us who bottled it at the end.

SA I'll predict. Pedigree that's better than even NZ in the overall WC tournament.

As Richie Mo'unga said ,"we don't have to be the best team in the world, we just have to be the best team on the day", and that was true NZL were the best team on the day, that doesnt then mean they now suddenly the best team in the world.

Wow SA won twice as many games v France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hoping for a cracker of a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Virgin Media rugby coverage (commentators, presenters and pundits) is way better than RTE.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Both sides in dark kits, should probably be one be in a white jersey.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

South Africa bottling this

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Great from the French.

Advertisement