Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

If Curry is the only player who ever made that type of allegation against him it looks a little better for Bongi. But of course could still be true and suggest a bit of history between them. Or more likely Curry is a a stirrer. Has Curry history of anything like this? Has Bongi?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

New Zealand bettered their record against both in recent World Cups, but for years were miles behind the Wallabies and Boks.

Make no mistake, the Boks will run over and through them. Ye flat against England, but New Zealand aren't currently at the level to compete with the Boks at their best.

Even the All Blacks at their best, would struggle and come up short against a well drilled Wallabies or Boks team at their best imo!

South Africa are a real World Cup team 3/7 New Zealand 3/9.

New Zealand have 3 wins to 2 in WC games. 1995, 1999 were SA wins. 2003, 2015, 2019 NZ.

I think it's all too tight to predict. NZ got the WC monkey off their back, bridging the 24 year gap in 2011. And their first away win in 2015. We have WC winners on both teams. It's going to be fascinating.

It's moving into the 75% chance of rain prior to, and showery for game time now. Breezy. Maybe the stadium will be sheltered a bit.

Strange when a tournament starts on 8th September in high summer like heat and ends breezy cool, 12c, and showery on 28th October. You really get the 2 seasons.

Right if we've more scrums you'd think advantage SA. But they have small wingers, weren't great v England in the wet. NZ will be working on all eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No way SA are underdogs. Defending world champs and 35-7 winners the last time they met. You're delusional if you think they're underdogs.

• Advertisement

More utter rubbish displaying a massive lack of rugby history.

Yeah SA are 3 from 7 but that's because they failed to qualify for the 87 and 91 tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Augme

However, they would have done. They were strong enough then if memory serves me.

Are you another one that needs an explanation about how bookies work? I'll give you a clue, it's to do with company profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think NZ will get the job done. SA will be tired after two big efforts, it showed last weekend already. Sticking with the same first team will be their downfall, Bongi in particular has been asked to do too much. I can see a big start from NZ and SAs bench won't be enough to turn it around.

Despite what others have said, NZ would be worthy winners (if they win). Not as good as previous NZ teams but still be great team. They are deceptively good on both sides of the ball. Their attack to put them in front in the first half, their defence to get them over the line in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Jacovs

You cant turn on a radio without hearing about rugby, or a rugby related song, or even the anthem twice in the 90 minutes ive been at work this morning.

Kids to school in springbok clothes, flags waving from cars/houses, most people wearing springbok shirts or jerseys.

Restaurants and shops doing springbok promotions and specials, some even giving stuff away free.

Its great.

4 years ago I was still living in Ireland when we won the world cup, I wore my springbok t-shirt to work, while everyone else was in uniform.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are quite literally (slight) underdogs with the bookies though!

Bookies don't actually arbitrage bets as much as you think. Money going on them will shift odds for sure, but it won't cause them to flip favourites etc and they definitely don't open a market with the odds they think will attract most money - they open a market with what they think the actual odds are.

Also I'd definitely have NZ as favourites.

I think you're the one who needs a explanation on how bookies work. Especially given how youn think a match that was won four years is a important mster when determining who is favourites in a match that is played today. 😂

When I worked in the gambling industry it was all about profit. Yeah they don't tend to flip favourites that often but it is all about the margin.

So having players and coaches who have won a RWC before is irrelevant. Good to know.

I never said it was irrelevant. I said that the idea that winning a world cup four years ago plays a big factor in determining who is favourites that what has happened in the last three weeks is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bookies flip favourites in tight games all the time. They want to balance the books and have as close as they can an even amount of people on both sides at negative odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

If SA would be deserving winners, then NZ absolutely would be. They play more complete rugby, and would have beaten the World #1 on the way to the title.

Ah sure you'd have to consider who won it eight years ago too. Like Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Sam Cane and Aaron Smith were in that team.

Like that could have a huge bearing on what happens in this final. 😁

Unless of course you are not allowed go back any more than four years!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Is it just me, or is there zero hype for this game? I know there's a deflation around the feeling that we could have been in it, but still - it's a world cup final.

I've no doubt that it will be a great game, but I reckon it just reinforces the point that the prospect of either of these two winning (again) is an overall loss for World Rugby.

I think it's just people in this country who are deflated after having such high hopes.

If Ireland weren't in it or not expected to do anything I think there'd be a lot more interest in it.

After all it's the World Cup, it's about the best vs the best.

I'm definitely interested. And for the sake of Irish people I want New Zealand to win well. That'll show people that we met the best team in the tournament and were second best in the tournament.

We beat one of the finalists and came very close to beating the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭OldRio

Or if SA win it. Ireland were the only team to beat the World Cup winners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there also might be a little resignation; that after all the talk, the hope, that we might see an all Northern Hemisphere final coupled with the talk of New Zealand's supposed collapse, the final being the usual SH teams is a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I’m obviously pleasantly surprised NZ has made it to the final but disappointed France is not there. France vs any of NZ, Ire or SA would have made for a great final IMO. I get the impression a lot of people are in the “anybody but NZ” camp (which I understand) but the French are definitely supporting NZ. I went to the rugby shop in the fanzone in Paris last weekend and could not see a single black jersey. “All sold out” the shop assistant said. There are most definitely not enough kiwis in Paris to sell out all the rugby jerseys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I think this is it. If even France were still in it, I reckon there would be way more interest than there is.

If I were World Rugby, I'd want to pull in as much of the neutral audience as possible, and I reckon the SA vs NZ final is probably the worst outcome for that.

C'est la vie, as the French would say!

I know the novelty of France or Ireland (and naturally being Irish) in a final would be great. But the 2 superpowers of rugby going at it for the once in 4 years massive prize is still fascinating.

And we have those Irish links with the SA Munster players and I'd be very happy for Joe Schmidt. I know last week it felt like he was the main man in out thinking us, but he is a gentleman and he has done so much for Irish rugby. He's with his homeland and doing what he has to do.

And of course my mam's first cousin is spiritual adviser to the Barretts!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,817 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,844 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If my kids and their peers are anything to go by, the sale of jerseys is not in any way linked to support for the teams.

They buy them because they like the style/design.

Two lads here have jerseys from all over the place some from sports they don't even follow.

• Advertisement

All Blacks, and to a lesser extent Springbok jerseys were cool with children, and even 20 somethings as a kind of fashion accessory, since the game went pro and they were more readily available in sports shops in the mid 90s.

There was always a fella or 2 wearing the old ones with the collar in the pub or disco back in the day!

Advertisement