Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Danty is a serious unit but I'd actually say Fickou is a more rounded player at 12. If they use him right, I wouldn't see Fickou at 12 weakening France (assuming they do move him to 12). The short time to adapt to the loss of Danty will certainly be an issue for France though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

without having the data at hand my feeling is that this AB team picks up a lot of cards when under pressure. That could be decisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I think NZ throw everything at winning the opening game, the team they fear most is SA, they will assume that topping the group is the best way of avoiding a 1/4 final against the Boks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Who plays 13 then? I'd be shocked if it's isn't anything other than Moefana at 12.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Same. Fikou is too important at 13 to their defensive organization, I can't see them moving him around unnecessarily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yes, I was just thinking that Fickou at 12 would bring a bit more creativity in midfield, he's a good distributor and a very smart player. Without Ntamack and now having to change their 12 (Danty played the last three warm up games), France now look quite one dimensional. I'd say NZ will be feeling they have a gameplan to beat the likely French line up.

Pity they cut Gailleton.

I don't think they lose a huge amount of creativity with Danty being out. His carrying is a huge loss, and he's an absolute menace in terms of turnovers. I don't know what his stats are, but he's like an extra back row at the breakdown. Not ideal to have to change your starting center partnership a week before your first and biggest pool game either. You'd think Moefana should be able to slot in, but they may have to adjust things.

That game was already going to be a cracker...I think it's absolutely impossible to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

That game was already going to be a cracker...I think it's absolutely impossible to call

Discipline, or lack thereof, and kicked penalties (Ramos / Jaminet) will decide this match.

• Advertisement

I've no idea what will happen. Neither team were overly consistent in the warm ups.

That said - I think New Zealand will score first, I think they'll be a little bit more composed in that opening 10 minutes. No team has properly rattled this French outfit but if New Zealand can build an early score I do wonder will that French brittleness of old creep into their performance.

It's a really odd feeling going into this world cup. Can't decide if it's because of Ireland's form, the bizarre nature of the draw, the form of some of the other big teams or the potential for upsets that has me excited.

Going to be a belter of a tournament, including I hope - an England player revolt and Eddie Jones getting sacked again 🤞

Yes, I mentioned loss of creativity from Ntamack. The assumption was that Hastoy would now start and the familiarity between him and Danty would be one of the mitigating factors for the severity of the loss of Ntamack. I wonder could Jalibert now be preferred to start alongside Moefana for familiarity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think Jalibert was probably the preferred option anyway , the Moefana connection just further strengthens that choice.

Jalibert looked good when he played in recent weeks and seems to have gone someway to address his perceived defensive issues as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Was pretty surprised by that tbh. He's shown his class this season in the Top 14, playing for a weaker club. For a team that backed Ntamack at such a young age, you'd think they'd be happy to keep him around. Especially after pulling him from the u20s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Paul Willemse is Frances latest injury concern. He's another that starts when fully fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

All the teams had to officially submit their squads by today right? Has anyone heard of any changes to any squads that were already announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Willemse ruled out of the tournament. He's replaced by Chalureau

French are really not having much luck with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Anyone doing the world rugby fantasy league? Any interest in a boards league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

• Advertisement

Is it bad luck or the Top14 season taking its toll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So for some reason, I had it in my head that the RWC started tonight and not next Friday. Despite me being in France for when it starts, I for some reason thought I was there a week later and that it was kicking off tonight.

I am torn between feeling like an idiot and gutting disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Idk if he's officially ruled out. Apparently at this stage he can be removed from the squad and placed on the reserve list as the tournament hasnt started yet. He'll need an injury to be brought back into the squad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I think b is difficult to do while 'maintaining the contest'. If the defender has to step over the tackled player then another attacker stepping over/straddling the tackled player ends the contest. The defender can't step over the player on the ground before pushing past the ball in a bound contest over the ball. Or maybe I am misreading this after a few beers!

The attacker can't just step over the ball carrier without engaging the defender and pushing him off. The defender has essentially won the ball for his team at this point; the attack has to push him back off before his teammate picks it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

But they can't be in a bound contest over the ball if someone has already stepped over the tackled player, essentially stepping past the ball, and contest can't be over the ball

In my scenario the tackled player places the ball back so the defender is not stepping over the ball but stepping over the player to take the ball (or contest it).

The whole **** show where the jackal prevents the tackled player placing the ball is a bugbear of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Why do numpties like this get a voice? He clearly know's very little about the Irish side or modern rugby as a whole for that matter, of course when the reality doesn't suit his narrative he goes down the route of "we are only doing well because everyone else is terrible" that alot of former Irish players go down whenever an Irish team or player is either doing or done something well, you can probably see why they won little if anything at all as players.

Also so many of his points are totally incorrect and dont stand up to scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am only really what can loosely be described as a casual rugby watcher. But the Rugby WC is on so my curiosity has gone up. Obviously I will tune into the big Ireland pool game matches.

But is there other matches in particular that I should be tuning into? I normally like fast flowing stuff (not the lots of rucks, scrums and mauls type of games - becomes too technical for me then)

Historically would the open Rugby still be Tonga/Fiji/Japan etc? Any early match ups/potential match ups that stand out, that should be exciting?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement