Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Anyway Venjur, we will agree to disagree and I believe what you say will be the reality. It doesn't mean I agree with it but I know what you say is more likely. It doesn't mean it's the right choice, I just can't see Ireland doing anything else. And yet my personal opinion is it's absolutely the wrong choice if we wish to win this competition. Anyway it will all come to pass and we can then look back in hindsight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we sent our seconds out to play South Africa we'll get pumped for 30-40 points. That puts us in a situation where we'd get knocked out if Scotland beat South Africa unless we somehow make up that points difference. Nobody with half a brain would think that's a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Hmm, we would already know the potential points difference risk going into the game. So it is not as you make it out at all my friend

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Points difference is not the first factor which determines who goes through in a tie. Points gained by those tied teams in their inter-games is more important.

Therefore a trouncing against SA could very easily mean that a win against Scotland doesn't put is through, should Scotland get a LBP against us.

It would be insanity to deliberately put ourselves into that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,820 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone happen to have a spare wall chart they could possibly mail ?

I can donate €5 to a charity of there choice ?

PM if any available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The coaching team are going to put out the strongest team they can, with some minor tweaks for every game. Forget this 3 and 4d chess stuff. Nothing we've seen in any Six Nations under Farrell suggests that he's going to gamble on anything but a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

This. I had the Fijians to beat the Welsh, but it was based in no small part on how savvy and sensible Muntz is. I don't know enough about his back-up - does anyone familiar with him think they can still do it?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Also - watched this earlier. I thought it was very interesting, specifically because of Ben Darwin, from Gain Line analytics. He's fascinating in his talk about what he defines as the primary reason for success, ahead of individual skill - cohesion. He thinks we'll win it, and that Scotland will be second in our group ahead of SA, because if things start going wrong for the Africans, he thinks they'll crumble.

In amongst a load of Kiwi cheerleaders (who are, to be fair, watchably self-aware and tongue in cheek), he makes for an interesting listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH7WGZNQ31Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Good watch, he makes some salient points. If Sexton and JGP stay healthy, I think we win it

One more sleep

One more sleep

One more sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's a bit of a weird point considering largely the same group of players lost their opening game in the last world cup and went on to win it..

He just thinks they're currently overconfident. I'm summarising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

But if that's the case why don't SA go 2nd string against us, they are an inferior side so need more of an advantage than us, and let us worry about winning all our matches.

In real world the only country talking about throwing a game to "help our chances" its us, and the reason for that is because it's a really dumb idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

They were more consistent going into the last RWC, nowadays they are very up and down at times. I mean lets be honest, the only reason the media and fans are wetting themselves about SA atm is because they won....ONE...GAME...

Yeah but they're always good in world cups. You can't ignore that they switch it on at the right time every cycle and they get better as the tournament progresses. In as much as people are factoring in our inability to breach the quarter final barrier - they are also factoring in South Africa's track record at the tournament and ability to repeatedly win the thing.

I'd be hoping for Ireland / Scotland to emerge from the pool as I think if SA make a final they'll be awful tough to beat. They have enough stock of forwards to just brute force their way through games and as the tournament progresses and fatigue kicks in they can keep churning out victories.

I think we can out box them in the pool, contain their game with an incredibly hard working and accurate defence and then just pick off our chances when they come along. It's unlikely we make a final without losing some continuity so our defence will somewhat deteriorate and if it's not as on top as I'd expect it will be in a few weeks then were in trouble. If we can't contain them as effectively in the final they'll run over us and I'd rather play any other team (including France) than South Africa should we get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I wish I had your confidence. I think we're going to get rolled in the opener. Look alright in the rest of the pool and lose the QF.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm curious about the comment that more players would be available later in the tournament if Ireland threw the game against SA. Do you have some numbers that show more players get injured or red carded against SA than against other teams?

Nope. You don't need to worry at all, I have you making the final but losing to Ireland.

Whereupon I will be tea bagging you rent free in your head for all eternity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

When did France last beat NZ when NZ wore black? I know NZ were in their alternate strip in 2021 when they lost, and also in 07 when Barnes decided it was American Football.

Edit: It was Carisbrook 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

French troubles....still confident that they will beat NZ even without Baiile, Danty & Willemse.

And Jalibert's rapid rise was over 5 years ago! He made his debut v Ireland in 6N DG goal game.

Interestingly only 1 of the 7 guardians writers think Ireland will make the final. 2 dont think they get out of the group!

6 of them have SA in the final. I think they have put way too much premium on that Oil Cup game in Twickenham

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/sep/07/rugby-world-cup-2023-guardian-writers-predictions

This will age badly when Ireland beat SA in 2 weeks and hopefully very badly come the end of Oct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This might age poorly but those are dreadful predictions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

AB You’d have to think South Africa are bound to take at least one of the two qualifying spots in Pool B

Rassie is arrogant but I don't think even he expects SA to take more than one of the two qualifying spots!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

There's nothing crazy or stupid about predicting a SA or France or NZ win. Yeah it's irritating how nobody's giving us a shot but you have to look at it from the outside. We're in the toughest pool with the toughest possible QF and we've never won a knockout game. We're not going to be respected at the RWC until we make an impact at it. Pundits know that we've got a top team capable of winning it and if we get past the QF most of them will have us as favourites but it shouldn't be surprising to us that they remain doubtful over our belief come crunch time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

For me, two of them predicting that Ireland won't get out of the pool is what's a bit mad about those predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I particularly enjoyed the Georgia to escape the pool prediction. The type of madness I can get behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Its not so much that they aren't picking Ireland, I find it amazing that so many of them think SA will get past NZ (or France) in the 1/4 finals & beat France in a final. It's not happening.

This SA are not near as good a side that won the WC 4 years ago. Lotta miles on the clock and are missing key players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Japan making the quarter finals given their current form is fairly questionable also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Japan can make the quarters by just being a little less shite than Argentina and England. None of those teams have form coming into the world Cup.

Advertisement