Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

unfortunately probably true.

the reasoning given for Curry getting red was the high degree of danger with no mitigation.

Hard to argue high degree of danger for Kriel when Dempsey played on through the contact as if it never happened. I think it deserved a yellow only, which is not enough for a citing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

There are lots of decent analysts. I find it weird how much shade the female analyst gets on here, particularly when her presence is claimed to be the result of a quota. It’s a baseless argument and is unfair to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭standardg60

So many times he's been technically explaining at length some aspect of a scrum that the commentator has to butt in and mention that there's actually a try being scored. It's like he's more interested in getting his point across than watching the game.

All the anchors are capable of doing is reading the autocue and their scripted questions for each panellist who already know which aspect they're going to be covering. It has become so robotic, and because there are so many analysts now the actual highlights which we all want to see are minimal.

But it's not baseless in the slightest, you only have to look at Kathryn Thomas being introduced to the Rose of Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

All the anchors are capable of doing is reading the autocue and their scripted questions for each panellist who already know which aspect they're going to be covering. It has become so robotic

I've literally given you an example in the post you're responding to - the Christian Eriksen incident - where this didn't happen and Jacqui Hurley was a complete pro.

Look, each to their own...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Completely agree. There is only one reason she is there, along with Hurley, and that's to fulfil some ridiculous RTE gender equality policy.

I don't think you do completely agree if that is your takeaway.

I think Fiona Hayes is a very poor analyst. But she is not there because of some "quota" - she fits in perfectly with the standard across the board of analysts so she very much belongs.

In general I'm sceptical ex-players are the best analysts. I think Warburton is quite good, I actually think BOD has improved a lot but was ropey to begin with, but ultimately they are few and far between. I quite like Maggie Alphonso on the BBC. Also, I know he is not everyone's cup of tea, but Brian Moore remains my favourite ever "colour" commentator.

I assume you're covering your earlier baseless assertion with a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I can just about bare most but for D'Arcy and Heaslip are the hardest to listen too and not much more than a Leinster mouthpiece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Kearney s accent is very hard to listen to, hurley is a very good presenter , heaslip is good but very serious. Thought zebo had a few good points on how certain positions operate in gametime but doesn't articulate as well as heaslip.

• Advertisement

Why do you think she is there then if you agree it's not for talent?

You accuse me of having a baseless assertion, i provide evidence of why i think so, you don't have an answer to that so instead you accuse me of trolling.

Well done.

Saying Kathryn Thomas is not evidence of a gender quota system in RTE sport when a more prosaic explanation is that RTE, like every sports broadcaster, moved away from men only sports pundits years ago and there are a generation of women rugby players to consider alongside the men available. Again, evidence of a quota system is not your suspicion or your gut feeling, it's some sort of real world fact that backs up the assertion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Bernard Jackman is very good as a co-commentator, he mightn't have been the best manager but he brings great knowledge of the technical aspects of the game and explains it to the lay-person very clearly.

Kearney might be saying good things but he's just too boring to listen to. Heaslip is a clown. Alan Quinlan makes me want to turn the sound off and I find him quite banal. Ferris is grand but a bit uninteresting. Haven't heard enough of Zebo yet to form an opinion but it would be nice to have a bit of personality in there - I gather he made fun of Heaslip's tweet so he gets a thumbs up thus far from me.

I don't mind Fiona, she's only starting out so give her time.

The bar is quite low across the board, you'd miss Eddie and Brian going at it on the BBC. Even Hook, who I didn't like, was entertaining. It's pretty bland stuff across the board nowadays.

That Scottish commentator is excellent, the one with the dogs - his name escapes me.

Agree on this, Heaslip comes off as shallow, Ferris is boring, Quinny seems nice but dull, BOD's ok, Fiona is strong in that company. But we really do miss a bit of Giles/Dunphy or even Keano. TV rugby does not need to be dull and worthy, it should be a bit of craic and pundits should be able to generate controversy to keep it spicy. I like the Kiwi commentators and Andy Goode is good for a laugh and a strong opinion, he also fancies Ireland's chances.

Andrew Cotter. But he is a commentator (and an excellent one) which is a very different skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is Cotter the guy who keeps saying "atomised" in contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

listened to darcy for the romania game. It was the kind of cheerleading NZers are typically accused of. He was ok for the Chile Japan game where Irish players weren’t involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the female commentators are about as good and bad as their male counterparts TBH - but it's only that they are women in the first place that they're receiving extra, undue criticism IMO. The presumption they're not there on merit so fair game for extra criticism and a slightly greater intensity of dissection 'cos they're not "proper" commentators, or didn't get hired for the "right" reasons. I've found most them perfectly fine TBH, and wouldn't single them out for particular attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Her voice is the most grating thing. A bit like Ursula Jacob on the hurling, it doesn't matter what point she's making, you just can't get past the voice. Like nails on a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hayes is not good at all, for me. Nor is she new to the media. She has been doing media work now for a few years at least. Her lack of knowledge on basic information around what is going on in the game is very poor. She is strong on the women's game and well versed on things happening in Munster. She has a cursory knowledge of Connacht and Leinster. Beyond that, she's not good. She's not alone in this. I think Luke Fitzgerald made a howler last week on his podcast when he didn't know what someone had been ruled out of the RWC (can't remember the specific incident).

I always remember her doing the preview on Leinster vs Leicester 18 months ago in Welford Road when she spoke of how Leicester aren't the team they were and were doing much better the previous season. At that point, Leicester were absolutely flying. They were on their way to top of the table and winning the GP final. The previous season, Geordan Murphy had just been sacked, they were struggling badly and ended up finishing mid-table after Borthwick took over. It really underlined how little she followed the game outside of her doorstep despite being on air specifically to preview a big game.

It's not a gender issue. Niamh Briggs is very good, I find. Far more reasoned, articulate and informed. She's not on too much though.

Most pundits are just noise for the most part. It's hard to find anyone who has a combination of analysis and personality. 10-15 years ago, Brian Moore and Matt Williams offered that. Williams hasn't kept up now and has become more biased and failed to move with the times really.

Flannery might be the closest thing to it right now. Anyone who played a decade ago and doesn't work hard at keeping up to speed, falls out of the loop quickly enough. ROG is good but his manner/delivery can be a bit dour at times given how slow he is to get the words out. Trimble is generally good value. Not as good on the analysis but decent and has a personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think Ireland is miles behind the best NZ commentators. I don't know what channel the totally legitimate streams I watch come from but the Kiwi guys are always extremely knowledgeable, even handed and pleasant to listen to.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,793 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Grant Nesbitt is unsurpassed in comms in my opinion. An elder statesman at this stage, but a consummate professional.

I enjoy Justin Marshall on co comms as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The problem with almost all the commentators is that they have been trained to say the most banal stuff possible. Listen to a Brian Moore or a Brian Kerr and you can tell they have a love for their respective games and just say what they mean. The rest of them just paint by numbers and it's obvious they think carefully about what they say before actually speaking. John Mullane is another one who clearly loves the game and is very good at breaking down tactics while still keeping it exciting.

By far the worst of the lot is that lad who does games on Virgin and OTB. He's like Ryle Nugent turned up to 11 and makes games unbearable for me.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Completely agree, I’m not sure why Newstalk pushed Hayes over Briggs because Briggs is 100x better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

We’ve improved. Defeats bring humility…

i usually watch French coverage. Except when France playing. But I can’t stand Olivier magne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Speaking of commentators and pundits, I give you Murray Mexted. https://youtu.be/HF9V4avIxsU?si=zeFDfV83pC-SXANq

IIf you're in the office, you might want to use headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ha, like a blind man in a brothel, just left groping 😄

Advertisement