Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diabetes in 14 year old cat

Options
  • 08-08-2023 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i have a 14 year old male (neutured) cat who just hasn't been himself for last few weeks. We thought he was just slowing down but decided to bring to vet last week. They took a blood sample and rang me to say that the glucose levels were off the scale - so looks like cat is diabetic. Cat is going back in tomorrow for more tests/scan etc to see if any underlying thing going on.

Has anyone any experience of dealing with a 14 year old cat who develops diabetes. Hes mainly an outdoor cat, we would prefer not to go down the road of twice daily injections as we are often away overnight etc. Is there a tablet that could be put in his food?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Unfortunately oral medications are not widely used in cats as they’re not particularly successful. Cats generally tolerate the injection really well and hardly notice it, give it to them while they’re eating and they don’t blink! Been through it with two diabetic cats, if you need any more help I’m happy to talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sooty19

Thank you so much for your reply, our issue is that we might not always be here and as hes an outdoor cat i just get someone to call to feed him which has always worked well......so he will miss his injections etc. I have put him on a diabetic dry food now and the vet says hes not in pain so we will try that and see how that goes. Thanks so much for the reply.

Advertisement