Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Mentally Ill flatmate

Options
  • 08-08-2023 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cars14

I live in a house with a friend in a great location and cheap rent. A year ago the landlord moved in a new tenant.

He was driven to the house by his mother who seemed ecstatic to be getting rid of him. She turned out to be a primary school teacher.

The new tenant is under the care of a Psychiatrist whose speciality is bipolar and drug misuse. The tenant takes high doses of tranquillisers and antidepressants whose wrappers I found in the bin. There is a smell of weed from his room. He is taking high dose anabolic steroids. He is very aggressive and punched my door for 30 minutes once. He is also promiscuous with many women and one man. He didn't work but recently started a CE scheme. He keteps forgetting to turns things off and goes frying at 1am. I told the landlord and produced evidence of the above.

The landlord is afraid of this guy and gave me all the tenants eviction notices. We noticed this tenant pays lower rent than us and refuses to pay bills.I and my friend are good tenants but we are being evicted.

I have no accommodation to go. to Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

How long are you living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cars14

4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

So the landlord is evicting 2 good tenants to keep 1 bad tenant?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In march you were calling for the ban of the eviction ban so you could get rid of him and now your here telling us that you are instead been told to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Who interviewed/vetted the new tenant?

• Advertisement

The landlord let him move in but didn't vet him. His half brother and him were tenants briefly of the landlord before. The landlord told me this guy is asking awkward questions. He already pays lower rent than us. The landlord is nervous. I think the landlord is being threatened by this guy or his mother

• Dispute it with the RTB is about the only thing you can do. If you feel like the individual is inclined to harm themselves or anyone else you can call the Gardai. They might arrest him under mental health act for his & everyone’s own protection.

Bear in mind unless a doctor signs off on him being admitted to a hospital he will be released within a few hours though so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jason3102

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think drug use is one of the exlcusion under the mental health act.

The reality is that OP will probably have to find somewhere else to live.

He has a mental health issue as well as drug use e.g. he takes frisium 10 and serialise 100. He also injects anabolic steroids and is bulked to the last and I can sometimes smell marajuana from his bedroom.

Sertraline 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I feel for you! How old is this looney tune? Even his mother ran away from him. To be honest, he should be in a state institution. Lanl need to deal with him, he let him in.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Put your stuff into storage, and on eviction day present to the council as homeless. They'll put you somewhere, hopefully with people who are less-dangerous than your current housemate.

PS I'm sceptical that this is real: if he really spent 30 mins punching your door, you'd probably be dead by now. But if it is, the above is what I'd advise.

He is 26 years old. He spent 30 minutes punching my bedroom door but I had the door locked. The landlord should be doing more to help. He finds it easier to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If he does that again, call the Gardai. Even just having a formal log and having had them visit the house would be useful, that is assuming they would respond at all.

I found out about the frisium tranquilliser and sertraline 100 as the wrappers were in the trash

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

But the Landlord is doing something . He is getting rid of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

If you're there 4 years then the LL has to give you several months eviction notice, Contact the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Leave , you can’t reason with someone like that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Call the Gardai? How was this not the first thing you did when they tried breaking your door down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

The landlord knows well who he is. I am guessing he wants to sell the house before the market peaks but cannot evict the current Tennant's. This strategy will encourage the current tenant's to leave ASAP!

The mental health tenant will likely crash and have to be put back into the system sooner than later. House vacant, no tenants in situ sold in a month.

I had a relative with this condition and the mental health services are not designed to cope with severity and volume of our national mental health problems. You have my sympathies. I have no suggestion I could make that is legal. This guy is not going to get better in fact his mix of medication (tranquillisers with steroids) are disturbingly dangerous. I would suggest looking for another property.

But it is sooooo much easier if they are "encouraged" to move. The land lord wants to sell yesterday while the market is good.

Council will do nothing of the sort. There are more higher priority cases than these lads ie single women with children and the council will do nothing.

Mental health services are a joke. Doctors will sign nothing of the sort for fear of being sued. Ireland is the second most litigious country for medical litigation. Been here before. Guards are powerless to act doctors are terrified of getting sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The guards will do nothing. At most, they'll call out to do a welfare check, and that will be that. There's no legal way to deal with headcases like this. The only thing that the OP can do, unfortunately, is leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He was trying to bang down the door to their room, it is assault, threatening behaviour, the weed in the room and so on. There is at least enough to bring him in for a caution, although as you say, they will still have to move out as he would be back in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Yes, it is criminal, and it is wrong, but my own experience with the police is that they will do very little until it's too late. In fairness, from their point of view, how are they to know just what has happened? As you say, they could bring him to the station, but unless there is clear evidence of a crime, they will not be able to hold him.

In a sane land, people like the OP's housemate would receive care, and (more importantly) they would be prevented from harming others. However, this story should be taken as an example of the social chaos that the housing situation is causing. The only valid solution is for the OP to jump ship, but where is he / she to go? There's no easy answer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So clearly the landlord has done this on purpose. Get yourself somewhere else to live and before you leave get yourself some wood louse larvae and let them loose in the attic. That'll learn him.

• As soon as OP & company leave house, landlord will have the drug using psycho out, a call to the guards (“didn’t know he was like that, it’s shocking”) they will come out and investigate, drugs evident, take him to the station, Landlord will change all locks and say he was an unregistered squatter. House boarded up for safety, subsequently sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The landlord probably vetted him already when he was a tenant previously. If the guy now has MH problems maybe he needs to be in hospital, not sure how calling the gardai would help but really the landlord needs to sort the situation.

The whole thing sounds odd - landlord nervous because he's being asked awkward questions or maybe he's being threatened by the guy or his mother, guy pays less rent and yet it's the two original tenants who got a notice to leave.

How much notice did you get and what reason was given for the termination?

Advertisement