Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

visor replacing an old pinlock problem - howto remove old gummy residue from the visor?

• 09-08-2023 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

my pinlock started fogging up recently, figured replace it

step one remove it obviously but when I did I found it has left some of the gummy bead off the pinlock behind, seems in some places the sealant has kinda welded onto the visor "glass"

the visor itself is in good nick and too expensive to replace willy nilly but at the same time as it stands there's no way a new pinlock will achieve a good seal as it stands

if the visor was glass I could take a stanley scraper to it without fear but I'd probably damage it, tried just working at it with thumbnail, tried to tack it off with sellotape...nope

anyone solved this problem before and how did u do it? I'm wary of using solvents as sometimes they will react to plastics etc in weird ways

?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭muddle84

Have you tried a visor cleaner spray and bit of elbow grease with a microfibre cloth?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

ah yeah this is beyond the norm, it's properly stuck/welded on and nothing basic seems to touch it unfortunately

really doesn't seem to be like standard silicone sealant some kind of tougher stuff that's gone off/cured in sun perhaps dunno

I'm going to test a spot to side of visor with a few things, hearing WD40 works so gonna try that first....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Moose1

WD40?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bit of hand sanitiser maybe probably a higher concentration of alcohol than would be in a normal screen cleaner.

The cleaners for internal plastic/dash for cars, those are good for removing baked on residue.

Could also try cleaners/polishes marketed for headlight plastic.

Could also try adding some heat with a hair dryer and using the cleaner you've already tried. softening the gunk up and letting the cleaner work into it.

update:

well nothing clever worked, certainly not wd40 that would seem to be old wives tale

I can see on that visor itself there's a micro thin layer of some coating on the inside surface, so probably that gummy bead on the pinlock must have reacted with it over time UV whatever and welded in

SO in the end I solved it by going down the chemists and buying a pack of old school bendy superthin wilkinson sword double edge razor blades and very carefully slowly slicing it off. it has left a barely noticable mark and running my finger over it I can't feel any ridges or bumps....so I think the new pinlock will lay on well and make a good seal when it arrives. update again when I get to that point.

• Advertisement

yep worked a treat in the end

ordered in a new pinlock (megabikes, thanks) and fitted just there today, looks a perfect seal

I'm wondering now if that old pinlock was a genuine one...it was blank but I see the new one is clearly marked with the "Pinlock" logo (they're a actual company/manufacturer)

hopefully means I can get one more year out of the lid, it's 7 years old now Schuberth S2 but in vgc...meantime dropped a good few hints in the household about potential xmas present of new S3 or a C3 lol lets see :) :)

Advertisement