Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving after one year with Canadian license

• 09-08-2023 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My family moved here a year ago and due to backlog are still awaiting foreign birth registration to be processed. Therefore they can’t get an Irish license exchanged for their Ontario license. As proof of residence is required to make the exchange

we’re desperately trying to find a way to legally insure them to drive here now we’re in years 2

my husband and i both have applied to exchange our licenses no problem and renewed our insurance

can i take ownership of their cars and add them as occasional drivers with a Canadian license?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It is only permitted to drive in Ireland with a foreign licence (expect EU/EEA) for up to 1 year. After that a licence either should be exchanged, or if that's not possible, then a driver has to pass the Irish driver licence test as a new driver.

They can exchange their Canadian driving licence with the NDLS, just 1 min of the internet search can provide a list of Canadian provinces an agreement with Ireland is in place.

Advertisement