Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasant found and not sure what to do

Options
  • 10-08-2023 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all

found a pheasant on a walk this morning. Pheasant was visabily stunned and most likely hit by a car. I wasn’t sure what to do but brought it home and have left it in the shed in a box.

It seems in much better condition this evening but I’m hesitant to release it back into the wild as it’s not an adult yet so may not have the maturity to survive. Any suggestions on the best thing to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It will survive fine if a juvenile bird

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd suggest releasing the bird in a safe place back where you found him. He's unlikely to be truly wild, more likely hatched and raised by a game bird breeder, bought by the local gun club along with dozens of other birds, and soft-released in the past month or two to the area you found him.

It's entirely possible that the gun club have grain-filled feeders in the area, and your bird will know where to look for this food, and will know the safe places to roost in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭geographica

More likely a wild bird more like.

Release it back near where you found it and it’ll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Very unlikely a wild Bird. 99% chance it's a gun club raised bird. They're far from wild.

On what basis do you make the assumption it’s not truly wild given you don’t even know the location?

There are no gun clubs near me in Co Wexford and we’ve a very healthy population of pheasants, are wild, and nothing to do with shooting clubs 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Not sure if you can 100% say they are wild as pheasents are from somewhere asia an were brought in for hunting

they must the dumbest of animals you can meet on the road

Have said that, hopefully it will be okay

Post edited by windowcills on

Ever hear of the birds and the bees, procreation etc? 🤪

Advertisement