Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q or Sky Stream

Options
  • 10-08-2023 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Looks like Sky Q & Sky Stream are both available for €30 per month, including a Netflix subscription - not looking for sports or movie channels. Anyone have thoughts/opinions/experience that would sway you one way or the other? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Sky stream you get ad free for the first year and then you have to pay to skip the ad breaks.

So sky Q for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

For me as things stand, if you have no issue getting a dish then it's Q all the way. Stream just doesn't seem to be there yet - especially if you like to record.

There's obviously small things in favour of stream like 4k being possible in other rooms, so I suppose that's where you start weighing up exactly what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Another vote here for Q

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fandango1976

Thanks all. Think I'll go for Q. Like the recording rather than playlist/playback on Stream. Dish is no issue as there's already one there and the 4k thing is not really a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sky might install a second dish for this service and leave your other dish for freesat so you have 2 options to use which i like and have a backup plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I have spoken with Sky and if you opt for the Sky Stream service you can not have SKY Q activated at the same address. Very few Sky Stream reviews from Irish people on Youtube.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure why you’d even want both. It’s possibly the most costly option for TV you could have. Opt for one and get Multiscreen / Whole Home.

There are pros and cons to both, though to my mind Sky Q remains the superior service by a long way. The Sky Q mini lack of 4K support is the only con, unless having a dish really bothers you (that was a thing in England in the early days of Sky, not sure it’s an issue now) or if you live in an apartment or a property that has a restrictive covenant stopping you putting up a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Another big plus of having Q, is that the mini box acts as a wifi extender IF you also have your broadband from Sky. Not sure how it does that, but that's what Sky say.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

Supposedly it can extend all WiFi whether sky's or not but have read very negative reports of the effectiveness of this feature with sky broadband or any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

With Sky Stream does anyone know if you can simply move the box to TVs in different rooms? For example can you have it plugged in to the sitting room telly and then unplug it and bring it to the bedroom telly? Also am I right to say that there’s no recording at all. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If I ordered sky stream, could I bring one of the pucks with me on holidays? We have a holiday home we use at weekends quite a bit. Don't want to get 2 full subscriptions.

There is a firestick with iptv there already but sky will be more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭feargantae

Yep, it's the same as switching a Chromecast/Apple TV to different tvs. Plug and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭feargantae

As long as it's still within Éire you'll be fine. Under EU law it should work in the EU too but I'm sure Sky have found a way to bypass that!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The T&Cs as far as I know prohibit you from using it at a different address. They say they reserve the right to charge you if they detect you using it at a different address. Whether they actually do this I don’t know, but that is what the contract says.

You can use Sky Go for out of home viewing and yes that works in other EU countries.

By the way the Portability Regulation only gives you cover to use your services temporarily in another EU country- it doesn’t allow you to permanently take your service there, you’re meant to come home every 30 days . It’s intended for short trips not permanent moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

I have Sky Stream a few weeks but have previously used Sky Q at a different address. IMHO Sky Stream is a compromised offering and no replacement for Sky Q. The only positive is that it doesn't require a dish and it is a small, neat device.

While it is billed as "All your favourite shows, channels and apps in one place", not all programmes are available to stream. In particular, if you miss a BBC show, you can't simply stream it later on. Many of the BBC programmes are not available to stream.

I'd go with Sky Q.

Advertisement