Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home domestic security camera system

Options
  • 11-08-2023 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a homesecurity cctv/camera system, Im not sure what is available or what to get regarding picture quality.

Originally I was thinking of getting something hardwired, but without any renovations planned that would make it easy to route cables, possibly wireless. Im looking for options as to what is best suited to fit in a domestic setup. I had dome cameras in a house previously, but the picture quality was only ok during the day and not great at night, while I dont need to plan on needing the kind of resolution/detail to identify reg plates, Id like if the images are clear to identify a face if that is needed. I still have one of those dome cameras I had previously (a HKC) which was never fitted, those cameras had a BNC connection? but also a power connection each. Im not sure if that camera will be of use to me as I was thinking of seeing if I could run a network cable connected option (preferably, but possibly a wifi connected setup). Not sure what type of DVR or means of recording is ok, I had a DVR which I bought in a security retailer and kept, which I had to fit with a new HDD as it didnt come with one. Still have it somewhere, but the software was not good and not user friendly,but possibly it an be overwritten or the HDD used? while I also had a Ring doorbell camera previously too, that started out ok, but I think the features and useability got worse as time went on. So Im jot looking for a system that will require a subscription. I'll probably go for bullet style? cameras opposed to dome types, but not sure if I can run network cable externally regarding waterproofness? but some kind of power supply will be necessary.

So, user friendly, self backup up of information, any suggestions of systems? makes? and how much a system might cost to fit but that is of a reasonable quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

I use this camera & find it the best of what is out there you can buy online storage from the app or use sd card in camera for clear night time pictures buy solar light to fit near them.

ANRAN 5MP Wifi Surveillance Camera 1920P HD IR Night Vision Outdoor Wireless Security CCTV Camera Two-way Audio Motion Detection - AliExpress

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

I have installed the Blink Outdoor security cameras. You can find their review on this tech guides site.

They have been fantastic, offering wireless convenience, a two-year battery life, and weather-resistant features. I love being able to access HD images easily from my phone. Their motion detection system is on point and sends me timely notifications. 

I am satisfied with the software's interface and the image quality, both during the day and night. Best of all, it didn't break the bank as the whole setup cost me $339, and it's without a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

While I was thinking of getting a known system, somewhere above/better than whats typically available to a domestic user, but maybe the options replied with suit my planned use. What kind of batteries are in the blink items? Whats it like at night? I would prefer plug and play, but I wasnt really that impressed with Ring in the end. Not sure if one item I saw is a legit product, saw online, plugs into a light bulb bayonet socket (outside) fitting for a power supply, not sure how legit they are, Im sure it had motion control.

So far this Blink system looks like the best option until Im doing work on gutters, I might take off part of the PVC soffit panels and fish network cable through for a more hardwired system

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

The batteries are typically AA lithium ones, and they've lasted me a good while. Night vision's decent, but like most, it's clearer when there's some ambient light.

Overall, I am satisfied with Blink, and I think it is the best option for this budget. 

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I'm not sure about your budget but if you can get a proper CCTV system like Hikvison, that would be the best option.

Do you live in a rural or urban setting?

• Advertisement

Rural ish, where would you suggest I get a system like that? and how much might I be looking at costwise? I had dome cameras before, they were the Hikvision brand (they had a bnc type connector? & they had a power cable), they weren't particularily good in picture quality but I dont know offhand what their resolution was, I still have one that I stored away somewhere, I just cant locate it right now to check the specs on it. I wouldn't mind using that remaining dome camera in my setup,but Im not sure if that will be possible to use due to the connector types/power, as I have settled on a POE type now ( Changing batteries doesn't appeal to me even though the cameras would be at the soffit of a bungalow soffit level as it seems like a hassle, plus Ive gone off a wireless system as I have some wireless items and for some reason you can have to re-set them up). So, Im just going to run/fish network cable in from the soffits somehow. I have seen the Hikvision brand in use in shops for security, and Id like to get a picture resolution that was better than what I previously had, so a reasonable quality without being grainy.

What is your budget and how many cameras are you looking to install?

If it's possible and willing to put boots on the ground, try to source from the UK.

In my personal expeirence, price difference can be nearly 50%

Also, a lot of the newer Hikvision cameras have colour night vision which is exellent as well as the ability for a siren to go off if for example, a person is detected at your back door at 11pm at night. You can configure the paramaters to your needs

Camera numbers, about 4-6, price not sure, as dont know what cost I could be looking at

Have a look at something like this - https://discountcctvsupplier.co.uk/ds-2ce72hft-f-camera-system-kit/

You can get 6 cameras, 4TB hard drive and a higher spec dvr for £600.

This one has colour night vision btw and is 5MP

See if you can get a quote in Ireland and compare the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Heading to UK for a few days on Sunday so hoping to pick up some kit.

House in question is not occupied at present, but has electricity.

Just wondering what I need to add to a 4 camera set up to allow me view it remotely.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement