Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Singers who can't really sing anymore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Elton would be ok if he dropped that annoying habit of singing only the first syllable of every word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

What we’re lamenting here are singers who can’t sing like they used to, however that was, although I preferred the late Leonard Cohen with the deeper voice and the back-up singers. I imagine performers with conventionally melodic voices and vibrato are more likely to deteriorate significantly over the decades than those with, let’s say, a huskier delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

John Martyn, ok he’s dead but the change is his voice over time was incredible… towards the end of his life, I was at his last ever gig, he was quite obviously not well, dying in fact, chronic alcoholic and had part of his leg amputated…. played good guitar but sounded very poor. This was another gig around that time… ^^^. Difference is staggeringly obvious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From what I saw of Glastonbury, I thought Elton John was better than he's been in years. Maybe his voice had a good rest & care.

We expect singers to lose some range as they get older, and you can tell by the number of bands who transposing whole songs down. When Led Zeppelin reunited back in 2007, the whole set was like that. John Paul Jones even had a new bass made with a longer neck, just to handle the lower tuning properly.

There have been a few cases from the progressive rock world. Phil Collins made a rod for his own back with the way he sang in the studio, and struggled to recreate that live. On last year's tour he was a wreck overall, not just his voice - he could barely walk after years of abusing his back while drumming. Geddy Lee of Rush was tough on the last tours, not just range but also struggling to control his voice.

The canonical example, though, has to be James LaBrie of Dream Theater. He was among the very best when he joined the band around 1991, replacing another very good singer. In recent years, though, he's struggled, and the story I heard was that he permanently damaged his vocal cords from throwing up while ill. Every recent YT video has seen calls for him to be replaced, but I don't think the band wants to treat him the way Yes treated Jon Anderson: kicked him out while he was ill, but has since fully recovered and (as mentioned) is going strong at 79.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

He mostly just talks his way through his songs, rather than sing. Has done so for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frank Cruckey

Mary Black can't really sing anymore. Which is a great shame. I have several of her albums which I occasionally enjoy. But she can't sing anything like what she used too. And hasn't been able to for many years. She has an "exhausted" sound to her voice. Surely she knows it? Has no one told her? Sorry Mary. It's time to hang up your headphones and bask in former glory rather than embarrass yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saw Bonnie Tyler at Forever Young festival in 2019, she was great!

That's a bit worrying as I have tickets to see EC this summer, I know he had health issues so hopefully he's singing better now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Pistachio19

I saw her on the LLS a couple of years ago and thought the same. As a big fan, it was hard to hear her voice sounding strained. However I have been to 2 of her gigs since then and she didn't disappoint. I was pleasantly surprised.

Saw Liam Gallagher with John Squire in a few YouTube clips doing live stuff from a few nights back …I have to say the band sounded magnificent and Squire still sounds deadly playing….but Gallagher is having real difficulty hitting any of the notes at the upper end of his range, voice just cracking or cutting out and frequently very off key during other parts. Yes his style is very different, individual, shouty, punky, aggressive etc but saw Oasis here and abroad and he was always spot on…. Lads played the Olympia a couple of nights ago and from audience clips on YouTube I’d have been raging if I’d paid to listen to him,

saw Oasis in Paris back in 2002 I think, gig was broadcast on the radio have an FM bootleg somewhere…. Guy was sublime, really good….zero comparison between then and now…. Wouldn’t even call him a pub singer now. 30 years smoking, drinking and singing….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

First to come to mind is Mary Black .... she used to be a great singer but heard her a few times recently and she is nowhere as good as what she was .... to a lesser extent Sandy Kelly is another example ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Went to see Jethro Tull a few months ago - poor auld Ian Anderson really struggles singing now. Still plays the hell out of a flute though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Shane McGowan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The "can't sing anymore because they're dead" "joke" has been done already.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Bonnie Tyler- she just can't do Total Eclipse of the Heart anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Almost all rock singers have lost their voices because typical rock singing is a technically incorrect way to sing, i.e. it uses the nasal cavity a lot and that's subject to breakdown.

On the other hand, someone like Bruce Dickenson, who uses an atypical technique for rock, i.e. singing from the diaphragm, the voice has held up very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nasal cavity breakdown, you say... 😉

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

John Martyn had this odd thing where sometimes he spoke with a thick Glaswegian accent and other times he had a cockney accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Blondie's voice is gone. I saw her at EP a few years ago, and TBH it was sad rather than in anyway enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Debbie Harry, she has spent her entire career pointing out that she is not Blondie; she is a member of Blondie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember seeing a clip of Blondie performing live on YouTube a few years ago, yeah her voice is shot unfortunately.

On the other hand saw Rob Halford last week, maybe not as good as his peak but still plenty of power for a 72 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Thank you. I knew I was getting something wrong, but the synapses in my brain were all on strike.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

He's around the same age as Ronnie James Dio when he died, couldn't get over how great his vocals were on that last album he released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Saw them in the National Concert Hall back in 2011 and he was woeful that night, really struggled. Can't imagine what he's like 13yrs later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭xyz13

Bon Jovi.

Bien faire et laisser dire...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

Agreed. Saw Roxy in the O2 in London in 2022 for their 50th.

He doesn’t even attempt to hit the high notes and just points to the backing singers to take over.

But what a performer and what an experience. So glad I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

Also Donald Fagan. Saw him at the three arena in 2019. He got narked with sections of the crowd who were unhappy with his performance.

He can’t cut it anymore but it was great to see a living legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Saw the same tour in Glasgow. His voice is not the same but it was good enough and backed by a great band it was a brilliant concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Saw footage of the recent Paul Young gig in Dublin. He just can't do it anymore but also seemed to be just phoning it in, like he just wasn't trying.

I was amazed when I saw Duran Duran last year. One of the best gigs I was ever at. Simon Le Bon still has great power in his voice and can still hit the high notes no problem.

Was watching some recent footage of Albert Hammond not that long ago. To be honest he sounds better than ever IMO. I would definitely go to see him perform if I had the chance.

Going to see 10cc in September. Haven't seen any recent concert videos of theirs. Also going to see Merrill Osmond in the UK this year. He sounds a lot different to how he did in the early 1970s but has changed his style of singing quite well. Really looking forward to that one as he says he's retiring from performing at the end of this tour...

• Advertisement

Yeah he was a kind of eccentric. Born just outside London, lived in Scotland, Ireland and wherever else. I read that the accent sometime depended on his audience or what company he was in or how his mood took him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Jim Kerr of Simple Minds has certainly still got it.

Saw him and the band live in concert at the 3 Arena nearly 2 years ago - and he still sounds nearly as good in his early 60s as he did in his 20s.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Photobox

Same with Robert Smith from The Cure, saw them in 2022. Voice was the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm seeing infectious grooves next week and miss Tom Jones by a day 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

Brian Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Read a book called Singers Talk, ranging from just about everyone. A lot of artists didn’t do warm downs (very important) which they have since rectified. Gives a good insight for anyone interested.

I’ll take emotion and passion any day.

David Byrne said “The better a singer’s voice, the harder it is to believe what they’re saying. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I saw Marti Pellow not long back, lost the top of his range but makes up for it with arrangement.

Made up to hear about Simon le Bon!! First saw DD live in 1982 and last around 2016, can't wait to go again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He changed how he sings and how some of the songs are arranged to cater for it so can still put on a great show. Listen back to his "Well tonight thank god it's them, instead of you" on the Band Aid single though and it's patently obvious that he hasn't been able to sing like that for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭vinniem

Axl Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Photobox

Have to agree there, after seeing them at Glastonbury on the tv. He had loads of energy though to make up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭vinniem

Yeah saw them 1992/2017 Slane and 2022 at Marley. My son asked was there an issue with the sound, I said no. Poor Axl could not hit the high notes, sad.. But the way he sung from 90s onwards must have done serious damage to his vocal cords. Myles Kennedy was good, but no Axl in his hayday 😊

That's what singers need to do though , you can't change your diaphragm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think generally singers in the higher registers have the most apparent loss of range as they age. All singers probably loss their upper range to an extent as they get older so for higher pitched singers will show this more obviously than most.

Debbie Harry is a prime example IMO. She should just give it up at this stage, she can't sing those songs properly anymore.

I hate when people tell people they should stop working

Lifestyle is the main factor, jello biafra for example doesn't smoke and sounds as good as his debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I heard Tom Jones recently. Wow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Advertisement