Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit engineered oak with no door threshold/finishing bars concealing expansion joints?

• 13-08-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me. My builder is going to fit an engineered floor for us on our ground floor and first floor. There is underfloor heating on the ground floor. The floors will run length ways from front to back of the house. He's hoping to float the floor as it's a victorian house and the levels aren't 100% on the first floor (at least I think thats why he wants to float it - or maybe less work?). The doors and architraves around the doors are original and in situ so I'm hoping the builder can cut out the thickness of the floor from the base of these.

I'd like to avoid threshold bars that are not flush with the engineered oak as I think they remove from the beauty of a wooden floor. If anyone out there has any advice on how this can be done or if they can sanity check my ideas below so I can advise the builder that would be really appreciated. The floor can only run 8m without an expansion joint according to manufacturers instructions. In all rooms hoping to leave 1.5mm expansion joint at perimeter of the room and cover that with skirting.

At the stairs & entrance door on GF I'm hoping to leave a 3mm silicone/caulk joint. No thresh bar. Will this be okay? Might not get away with this at front door as ends of the floor will be visible. In that case I'll get a veneered oak aluminium finishing bar.

Here's a plan of the ground floor. I'm hoping to have no expansion joints under the doorways to the hall.

Where the front room meets the dining room I will need an expansion joint as it's over 8m (8.613m). I'm thinking of doing a stone or tile insert with silicone/caulk like this image. Will that be sufficient?

Where the dining room meets the kitchen (kitchen has a poured flour) I'm hoping to go for something like a 20mm tile trim in brush aluminium with no expansion joint but not sure this will work as we are not gluing floor. Would silicone work alternatively? Something like this;

On First floor here is the plan;

Hoping to do stone or tile inserts at door junctions with silicone/caulk like this image again.

Alternatively just silicone?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement