Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Was a good chanpionships for GB if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Big time, I always picture them competing towards the top end of things especially in the field stuff. Countries now competing really well and winning medals like India, Pakistan is great to see.

Guy in heptathlon I remember came 5th (and looked really good for a medal at one stage) and Weber in the javelin 4th.

GB clearly putting that lotto money to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Patchy high jump coverage yet again, Eurosport at least made a better effort than VM. I wonder could they give them a window of 20mins somehow near the end of the competition without always being on in the middle of the relay finals etc. Discovery+ i think gave the option of just watching the high jump or javelin. Mahuchikh finally gets the crown, decent final. (would have been even better with Lasitskene there though..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

German athletics has been in the doldrums for nearly two decades. I used to live there and was involved with a running club. There’s a lot of angst about their lack of success in recent years. Mihambo their long jumper was injured this year and Konstanze Klosterhalfen isn’t in form.

It’s crazy to think they won world and Olympic titles in the women’s 4x400m back in the ‘90s with great athletes like Grit Breuer, Anja Rucker, and Ute Rohlander. All that power has dissipated. More worryingly for them, they have few outstanding juniors in the pipeline.

Objectively, Ireland outperformed them in this meet, which is insane given a population of 5M vs. 84M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bol paced that race brilliantly. She didn't even start to make her move until 120m out despite being well adrift of the gold medal spot - it's almost as if she quietly fancied herself to do it, even though she had a huge gap to make up. A world class athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep 10 medals, I think they said that equals their record total.

Another disaster was France. A solitary silver medal and the Olympic Games are less than 12 months away,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sad it's over now 🥹

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. I might get some work done next week though 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. She had a real relaxed/casual looking run, yet knew exactly what she needed to do, and did it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What a great finish to the championships, great night tonight. Only disappointed I didn't make it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Final medal table:

China only got 2 Bronzes given the size of their population! If Ciara & Rashida had got bronze we would have been equal with them.

Surprised about Germany! France would have had another medal in the Decathlon if Mayer had been fit.

A great champs for Ireland. I’ll miss it too. Going to Budapest in less than 2 weeks for a wkd. Can’t wait!

Have ye seen the criticism Cathal Dennehy is getting from Nigerian Twitter because he dared ask Tobi Amusan a question she didn't like? Been going on a couple of days

Always mad when they can't muster a sensible counter argument, it's straight in there with the race card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Great world championships I thought. The stadium was spectacular and Budapest looks like such a beautiful city, can't wait to go there sometime.

The last race was incredible, I genuinely made a massive shriek when Bol ended up snatching the win for Netherlands.

Shows you what a good sport athletics is as a TV event as well , they really should promote it better as a sport, as someone who watches pretty much every sport and is a casual fan of almost all of them you'd barely know Athletics was on apart from the world championships and Olympics , feels like World Athletics should be doing a much better job promoting it as a spectator sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Compressing the championships sounds like a terrible idea, surely they need to give as many opportunities to as many athletes to do numerous events, better way to create stars and rivalries and sell the sport I would think.

Yeah I really hope they don't go down this road, there's talk of them dropping certain events.

They were going to drop 5000m races from the Diamond League at one point, as well as stripping the steeplechase of Diamond League status, but they went back on it after seeing how unpopular the move was. I don't know exactly how they make the sport more engaging, but I don't think dropping events is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

They spoke of street athletics happening in some cities like bringing the pole vault to people to see for themselves etc. That would be a good marketing tool.

To be honest it can be hard to sell due to the number of drug cheats down the years.

How that girl who missed 3 drugs tests got to run in the final is beyond me. Cathal was right to question her. She had no answer. Just blabbing on about her fans 🙄

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah been following that, most people are supportive of Cathal, I guess in Nigeria they don't want to hear about it and would prefer everyone just ignored that.

One thing that really annoys me is why we can't watch a 3000 SC or 5000m start to finish without cutting away to some shot putt and then a replay of the shot putt and then the shot putter walking over to the bench and putting on his top . Like a 5000m race is around 12 or 13 mins, can we just see the entire thing?

The marathon is almost certain to be moved to the "Road running championships" they are trialing this year in Riga.

The Diamond league needs to be better organised and promoted, half the time you have no idea when its on, how athletes qualify for the final etc. Then all the athletes line up in the same kit and you have a pacer running 30 meteres ahead of everyone and no one going with the pace. I mean I love the sport but there is so much wrong from a promotion point of view.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

VM is literally the Eurosport feed unless they're cutting to interview

• Advertisement

Yes, they're hopping mad he asked direct questions of her. Cathal makes the point that they only seem to want fanboys with smartphones in the mixed zone telling all the athletes how wonderful they are....nobody doing actual sports journalism or raising difficult topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Probably . Coe was talking about so many things

Extending the athletics season was another one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭hawkwing

VM showed about 75% of the jumps Eurosport showed and did not use a split screen while 2 events were on. They were often a minute or 2 behind also.

Women's High Jump Final (allathletics.tv) it's all here anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

VM showed the world feed. It was fine because it’s the same company that do all athletics events. They know what they’re doing. It would have been the same feed on RTE

Most broadcasters show the field events on a slight delay when they clash with track events. BBC have their own camera and direction in place (probably one of maybe 3/4 countries that do that).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

They really need to set a standard Friday/Saturday time slot for the Diamond League and have it every week across the summer. I've watched the diamond league religiously for years and even at that, still miss meets because the whole schedule is random and all over the place.

I'm always wary of Coe talking about compressing schedules because he's been trying to cut events since he took over World Athletics. Its always the 10,000, 5,000, 200, PV, TJ and 400h he's after. The irony of it been that the PV and 400h have produced some of the biggest stars in the last couple of years and the 5000m has become one of the most competitive and exciting events since he tried to a axe it from the diamond league. I always feel like he wants to get the 5000 and 10000 off the track and onto the road which I don't think will work and will end undercutting the existing fanbase as I don't see a standalone road running championship working, I feel it will isolate it even further from the sport much in the same way that World XC is a dying entity beyond hardcore athletics fans.

I mean the Rugby World Cup and World Cup are 6 weeks long, the athletics schedule in the Olympics is 9 days and they all attract huge and prolonged attention. I don't believe the schedule itself is at fault, its just how its marketed. They need something like a drive to survive type athletics series, something behind the scenes that creates drama, rivalries, shows the highs and lows of athletes going through the diamond league or building up to Worlds/Olympics that showcases the athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There actually IS a ‘Drive to Survive’ type series about professional athletes in the works.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-sprints-into-new-sports-series-tracking-the-worlds-fastest-human

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Don't forget the Zurich DL is on Thursday. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think athletics is my favourite sport to watch on tv. I’d love to see more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

There’s a twitter (X) post with Pers Karlstrom presenting Rob Heffernan with his replica medal. I presume the one given on the day is a replica and the real one given out in a ceremony later. The national anthem playing is a bug deal for an athlete I’d say.

Great nine days. Really enjoyed it.

Advertisement