Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Just caught that exchange between Tobi Amusan and Cathal Dennehy.

Disgraceful behavior from her, calling him a white mother f***er. Can only imagine the outcry if the situation were reversed.

The only positive outcome is that she is a marked woman and there is minimal trust in the credibility of her performances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Where did she say that? Didn't hear that at all.

I'd expect her fans to get a bit irate at someone asking her a difficult question, but for supposed journalists to turn on Cathal is most disappointing. Some of these people clearly only there to see their favourites 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

PJ Vazel posted on twitter analysis of the relay leg splits from yesterday, and Sharlene Mawdsley ran 49.60!

It’s on YouTube. Search for Tobi Amusan Cathal Dennehy. Appalling stuff.

Yep, very disappointing to see other so called journalists turn on Dennehy. He provides exceptional athletics coverage.

Phenomenal. If Mawdsley keeps improving at this rate, she could become genuinely world class too. I think she’s still only 24 or 25, so plenty of time for future growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

The reaction Cathal is getting online from Amusans fanbase isn't surprising in the slightest. They are the same ones who started hounding, abusing and calling Michael Johnson a racist last year for questioning the timing system at Worlds. I believe MJ called them dumbasses and that was that.

I hope and am sure Cathal sees the absurdity of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

With all the talk in the national media about Mageean and Adeleke and rightly so, Mawdesley was absolutely phenomenon all week. I seen a post early of all her splits (can't seem to find it now) I think 51.7 was her slowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

relay splits aren’t the most reliable barometer to be fair. World semi final (the level she’s at now) for her is about her ceiling

I’m not knocking that at all as that’s still an outrageously high level of running. I just think talk of her developing into “genuinely world class” now is asking for too much.

Hopefully she gets the Olympic time of 50.95 soon so she can plan for 2024. Her 51.17 PB isn’t far away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Totally agree about relay splits, but her relay splits were consistent and even progressive, considering the amount of 400m she ran. She is certainly making great progress and it would be great to see her get the QT for Paris

Anything under 51 seconds is genuinely world class (seeing as you quoted me) for an elite female 400m runner. Joanne Cuddihy held the national record at 50.73 from 2007 through 2022, when Adeleke emerged. I see no reason why that time isn’t within Mawdsley’s wheelhouse, particularly given those relay splits and her overall performance in Budapest.

Mawdsley herself and her coach Gary Ryan, are in a far better position to determine her ‘ceiling’ than anybody here. In fact, I’ve heard Derval O’Rourke describe her as an athlete with tremendous potential. I take that statement at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

See this is the problem with semantical arguments, that I started, on what is world class.

I think Mawdsley’s ceiling is a world or Olympic semi final. That is world class.

It’s just that that is where she’s at now and while she might improve her times (almost certainly will), she is unlikely to ever reach a global final.

And I come across as negative for suggesting that, even though I think reaching a world or Olympic semi final at 400m is incredible

I hope she goes on to race incredible times

Advertisement