Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sophie almost looks uncomfortable with her height. Fantastic performance from her though, really gave it a go in that last lap and emptied the tank. Massive PB and an Olympic qualifier at least a lot for her to take from today, any other heat today and she’d have been through with that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What time UK is 10,000 final now ?

Was scheduled for 19-55

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think evening session is going ahead at originally scheduled times

• That German fella on the third leg was a disgrace, he nearly took Bol out. I cant see the mixed relay team getting a gold unless Bol knocks it out of the park, the guy on the third leg is their weak link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They will change the third guy and both girls basically jogged it

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• I see Athing Mu is in Budepest but hasnt confirmed if shes racing yet.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Well the USA do love a bit of drama dont they.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Mu has been running 1500m and Hodgkinson has been running 400m in between their 800m training.

Mu has hardly raced 800m this year but then Moraa could be in the mix as well.

It will be a great race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think its the opposite to be honest, dislikes the spotlight that comes with the major championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SuspectZero

Its going to be tough for her, she drew the stinker of the semi-finals. She's in with Hassan, Kipyegon, Welteji, Muir and Hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Got to wonder what their sponsors make of them skipping major championships. Presumably their contracts have performance related bonuses?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some finish to the woman's 10,000m Hassan falls just before the line...yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dramatic finish to the 10,000m - Hassan fell a few metres from home whilst neck and neck with the Ethiopan for the gold medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Unreal 2 consecutive track races The Netherlands hit the deck when trying to hang on for gold. No medal in either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jesus, the dutch fell again, 5m from the line when leading! US overtake for a WR.

Mawdesly finished strongly for Ireland in 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Almost like the Dutch are wearing the wrong spikes! Thought Hassan had caught Tsegay's knee at first, but see in the replay that the cut on her leg was there before they clashed elbows.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll be watching BBC or Virgin tomorrow if this one on Eurosport is back on. Squealing at the end of the 10k and then laughing as Hassan fell and same in the 4*400 (though nowhere near as bad as the 10k one). She's been laughing constantly during the day too but ruined the end of that 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Unbelievable evening. Sensational drama in those two finals. Feel sorry for Bol. Fantastic leg by Mawdsley, 50.02. O'Connor is ahead of her NR schedule in the Heptathlon. The 1500m women did great earlier. A good start to the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patob

Femke Bol a bit shell shocked when interviewed on BBC, no mention of a trip anyhow. Fantastic run by Sharlene M for us again, 6th place in final in a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

What an end to the evening. Two falls for the Dutch in the home straight. Bol was under pressure from the US not sure she would have held on. Great leg by Mawdsley, she has performed very well for the team. Should Tsegay not be DQ’d in the 10k? Did she not run through Hassan? An exciting race it built nicely, if not the fast times we usually see.

It’ll be interesting to see if Coscoran makes the 1500 final, could be tough. McCann ran well but the legs went in the last 50.

I found the lady on Eurosport annoying so switched over. The BBC studio experts talk a lot of rubbish. The Irish lady trackside is decent, Sarah Mulhern (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I usually go Eurosport as the BBC studio heads annoy me and you miss out on live action cos of them. Eurosport were so poor tonight though that I'll have to change that if she's back on (Perri Shakes Drayton I believe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yeah. That is the semi final of death. Nikki Hiltz, the US champion is also in there. Sarah just needs to treat it like a final and give it her best shot. Ciara Mageean has the more manageable semi for sure. I feel like she has a great chance to progress.

I'm pretty sure Bol fell because Holmes was coming at her - it caused her to tense up or tighten up and lose concentration. If she'd been five or ten metres clear, she probably wouldn't have hit the deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If you watch the race back you can see how much Bol was coasting with 150m to go, she must have though it was in the bag and tried to keep it in the tank for the individuals. Any extra push here would of had her well clear.

She got some shock when she noticed the American girl on her shoulder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought Bol thought she had it won and then when Holmes comes at her she tries to lean for the line but it was still too far away and hits the deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

It seems she started dipping for the line far too early. Hard to see what caused Hassan to go down. Loved her reaction afterwards though.

Yes, Bol actually looked super relaxed 60m out but Holmes coming at her caused all the problems. There's a lesson there - never ease down or be too relaxed in a sprint final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Definitely. Thought that exact thing. At first it looked so cool how super relaxed she was but in hindsight there was a bit of complacency.

Advertisement