Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 World Athletics Championships, Budapest

Comments

• Yeah I agree with you about Tsegay, i thought it should have been a DQ but if it seemed like an accident then these things happen.

Poor Bol, my heart goes out to her. Everyone must've thought she'd have it in the bag.

• I think Mu is racing.

But both of those athletes make a ton of money outside of running races so they have no worries.

• Just watched a brief interview with Bol where she described what happened. This is what she said: "I was feeling pretty great, but I am not sure, the last meters I want to go and of course you get lactic (acid) as we all do, I just could not hit my strides like I normally do and I think I cramped up when I felt someone next to me then I was on the ground"

• Hassan is such a cool customer, shes gas. She just takes everything in her stride, pardon the pun.

She's another one who could do with changing her technique, her elbows are always swinging arseways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hassan claimed she was pushed. Can’t see it, she planted her elbow in Tsegay’s chest twice before she went down. What a last lap all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hassan certainly wasn't pushed, she drifted right after her look over the wrong shoulder. She almost impeded Tsegay if anything.

I thought Bol had done a great job getting back up for bronze until I saw the baton already over the finish line 🫣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, what a shocking end to day 1. Hassan and Bol are both two of my favourites so I'm heartbroken for them.

Hassan, however, clearly tried impeding Tsegay when she was closing. She twice drifted out into lane 2 to try and force Tsegay wide, Tsegay didn't have a choice but to keep going. And if you watch the replay again, Tsegay was beginning to make one final push before Hassan went down so I think she was going to win it anyway.

I think Bol thought she had it won in the back straight, she looked a bit too easy. I think she got the shock of her life when she saw someone on her shoulder and panicked. A shame to miss out on a WR as well as a gold, but I hope she storms back in the hurdles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Watching a new head on slow mo of the fall, Bol clearly became unbalanced and wasn't dipping for the line - her body was already starting to fall forward, even before her head and shoulders dipped. I think she just tensed up when she realised Holmes was on her shoulder and it all went pear shaped from there.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I dont think she intentionally planted her elbow, she just has terrible upper body form always.

I think she lost her way slightly when she decided to look back, she should've been focusing on Tsegay. Maybe she already thought she lost the gold and was looking back to see how close Giday was to her.

I've seen Hassan do stuff like this before, in fact I'm surprised she won London with all her flaffing about stretching and going off course to get drinks etc.

She can be kind of clumbsy and awkward too but shes very likeable and this wont knock her confidence.

Poor aul Bol on the otherhand could be affected by her fall, hopefully not.

Another great run for Sharlene, just missed out with 4th in her heat with a P.B.

6 heats and 6 fastest non automatic qualifiers to go so fingers 🤞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

After two heroic legs by Mawdsley yesterday, she came out and ran a huge PB this morning in the individual, 51.17. Has a shot at the semis.

Sharlene's time is holding up well, after 3 heats she has 2nd fastest non qualifier time.

Still 2nd after 4 heats, looking good for semi's now.

And Britton Wilson is eliminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Adeleke through. And Mawdsley

Adeleke looked so comfortable. Well done to the two of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, that's a shock. No Wilson, McLaughlin or Naser taking part will only help Adeleke

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Delighted that Mawdsley made the semis. A PB after two hard relay legs is incredible. She is definitely capable of 50.xx in future.

Adeleke looked easy. She will do damage in the final for sure.

Brooks U.S LJ heptathlon 3 fouls .. very very poor. KJT in a great position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And Klaver has two relay legs under her belt, which will surely have an impact on her performance.

Paulino and Kaczmarek are fresh and look dangerous.

20 year old Norwegian Invalgdsen looked very strong there..

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Doesn’t matter a jot when it comes to the major championships. Their sponsors get no say in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Great running by the 400 ladies. Adeleke looked very comfortable, beyond Paulino the medals are there for the taking. Mawdsley has a great two days, strong consistent running.

Disappointing from O’Donnell. Ranked 40 of 41 finishers. He looked good in the nationals but he looked tired. I’d love to se Van Niekerk medal. Great to see Borlee make the semis

KJT has a chance of gold in the Heptathlon but she always looks so miserable & unhappy. Hall looks injured and Brooks threw it away with 3 fouls.

O’Donnell from Ireland looked like he didn’t physically belong at 400..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The athletes getting the golf buggy across the Danube to the stadium is quite odd and funny 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

I was running around Margit Island earlier, a few of the female Japanese walkers were out practising, tiny things but the speed of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What's this nonsense pleading your case delaying the whole thing

It's not nonsense! The athletes are entirely within their rights to query the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya but ya know how these protests can go with the emotion and tension everything

Watch this space!

Advertisement