Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boy and the Heron, Hayao Miyazaki's last film?

Options
  • 14-08-2023 3:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hadn't even realised this was already released in Japan over July - grossing $38 million - but then Hayao Miyazaki's supposed last film has had a bizarre run-up: namely, intentionally publishing zero promotion, trailers or anything official to push the film. Not sure if a reason has been given - but it would certainly explain why Miyazaki's  final feature-film has gone completely under the radar thus far with almost zero buzz.

Maybe that'll change once - or even if - it gets international distribution? Miyazaki's probably famous enough in Japan that word alone could shoulder a film's release - not sure that'd be true worldwide mind you. Some images have surfaced recently, to give some flavour of the thing. I presume nobody here has actually seen it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

at least "supposed" although with advancing years , tbh I think it'll do well without promotion in the west ,ghilbli is cult like as can be seen with how much we can see of it around the place these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe just the more Japan-centric internet quarters I frequent, but I’ve heard nothing *but* buzz for this pre and post release :) The lack of info paid off handsomely locally, but there are few others who’d get away with such an audacious approach.

The film is due out in the US before the end of the year, and is getting its international premiere in Toronto next month. But no confirmed UK / Ireland release date or even distributor last I checked. It’s Miyazaki, though - guaranteed international distribution!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it does speak to personal wanderings cos I've seen nothing about this and when I do, it's spoken with a real sense of surprised remembrance it even exists - then curiosity why the strategy is to have no conventional publicity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like this will premiere at the New York Film Festival; and we get another look at the thing by way of that announcement - so that suggests the international releases will get some degree of promotion. We might even get a trailer at some point, lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ghibli's Japanese website now has a bunch of official stills there so the pre-release secrecy is very much over. That they managed to keep it all under wraps for several weeks after a general release in Japan is pretty good going, tbh.

• Advertisement

So that answers that: there will be traditional promotion for this in the US; a full trailer to drop on September 6th, and in the meantime ...

And here it is, the first proper trailer for this - ever, lol.

Yes please, I shall have some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Uuuuuuuu. That looks pretty. Yeah. Can't wait. Of Miyazaki's latest(hah) outings, wasn't overly gone on Wind Rises or even Howl but Ponyo was delightful. In in Japan in October. Hope to go to the museum again and see if the storyboard book is available in the bookshop there. It's getting harder and harder to get tickets to the museum so fingers crossed. The storyboard books are expensive (anywhere between 20-40 euros depending on rates, size etc) but they are great. I have Ponyo, Totoro, Porco, Spirited Away, Mononoke, Laputa, Kiki and Arrietty.

If I do manage to get a ticket to the museum I will post here in case someone wants one of the books (In Japanese of course) or trinkets. First Come, First Served, I'm afraid. Luggage limited.

• Advertisement

Next you'll be telling me that Final Fantasy game had sequels...

Haha, true.

as to the news, I'm actually a bit disappointed. A lot seemed to have been made about this being Miyazaki's last. And while he had made threats before, this time it felt "real"?

OK. So I got my ticket for Ghibli museum. You used to be able to buy them from an online agent 1-3 months in advance but that option is no longer available. I get it, they don't want to overpopulate it with tourists. Want to limit it to people who are genuinely interested, but jeez do they make it hard now. The last time I went, with friends, I was acting as a bit of a tour guide as I'd been there before and of course, knew the movies. I turned around and found about 3 other people craning in to listen. lol. For those interested, they release tickets at 10AM Japan Standard Time on 10th of the month before the entry date. So, for example, it took me 2 hours from 02:00 - 04:00 last night/this morning to get my ticket for next month (And they were all gone an hour late) Just in case anyone else is thinking of going. You CAN sometimes get "tours" but these only guide you to the museum as no tours are allowed inside and they are usually over 100 Euro........ The ACTUAL ticket to the museum is about 7 euro

Anyway, I will be there in October and, as promised, I am offering to buy some trinkets and smaller items for the first person who contacts me. The books are not as expensive as I thought. About 3200 Yen with tax at least that's what the last one was 6 years ago). Ornaments are small, high quality but expensive and I'd rather not be responsible for purchasing something like that but pins, papercraft cards, phone danglies/keyrings, a book (heavy), a small plush (Can be expensive), no problem. Last time I did this I basically said "if you want a book, give me a list in order of preference as they often don't have what you want and then I'll get ya some souvenir-type pins, cards etc." with a budget of say 50-80 Euro.

First come, first served though, folks.

Below is an example (Not my pic) of some of the cards. I THINK somewhere around a fiver each. This person seems to have cut the back off to let light through. I use a cheap battery tea-light thing with tinfoil behind to reflect

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I keep seeing this thread show up but after seeing Your Name without a trailer, I have a sense this might be a similar one to avoid trailers for.

Some good news I'd missed when it was announced a week ago - it has been picked up for Irish/UK distribution. Will be released in cinemas by Elysian, a relative newcomer to the scene that also distributed Earwig and the Witch, the Studio Ghibli CG film that everybody has quietly decided to collectively forget actually exists.

No firm release date, but 'later this year' sounds promising, as there's not much year left to go.

OK folks. One last offer (I'll offer it here rather than in a general chat as Ghibli fans are most likely to read this rather than making it a free-for-all).

I'm off to Japan next week. I can bring back some smaller items if people want. First Come First Served. Might be handy for Christmas. I can then post or meet in person (I North West Dublin-based). As per my previous post:

Anyway, I will be there in October and, as promised, I am offering to buy some trinkets and smaller items for the first person who contacts me. The books are not as expensive as I thought. About 3200 Yen with tax at least that's what the last one was 6 years ago). Ornaments are small, high quality but expensive and I'd rather not be responsible for purchasing something like that but pins, papercraft cards, phone danglies/keyrings, a book (heavy), a small plush (Can be expensive), no problem. Last time I did this I basically said "if you want a book, give me a list in order of preference as they often don't have what you want and then I'll get ya some souvenir-type pins, cards etc." with a budget of say 50-80 Euro 80-100 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

If you can get me 2 of those cards at about a fiver each I'll collect them from you get back. They look beautiful.

Not officially confirmed by the distributor as far as I can see, but the source is usually a reliable indicator - looks like the film might just about squeeze into 2023 in the UK/Ireland, with a Stephen's Day release.

Saw this last week and what a wonderous thing it is. It's every bit a Miyazaki film, in fact seemingly including a range of nods and allusions to his own work. Spirited Away is an obvious comparison given some of the fantastical story stuff, but definitely also strong hints of Totoro, Mononoke, Laputa and others. That ranges from some callback character designs to some thematic echoes and variations. It's definitely a master looking back on his career and ruminating on it, but also feels very fresh in some of the tonal stuff going on - it's a much more bittersweet affair at times than many of his past works, but also erupts with moments of colour and energy throughout. Although perhaps the most surprising thing is Joe Hisaishi's score, which feels quite a bit more serene and minimalist than his best-known Ghibli work.

And nobody does animation quite like Miyazaki and his Ghibli team just draw worlds that feel like nothing else. The sheer volume of incredible detail here - spectacular character design, idiosyncratic movement, flashes of more expressionist stylings - just makes it a treat to watch. And there are several sequences - a nighttime ritual, a starlit library, a flock of colourful birds - that really capture that sense of otherworldly awe that only Miyazaki at his best can manage. It's just as comfortable when imagining the grotesque as when imagining the transcendent.

It is a film heavy with ideas, and sometimes a bit more cryptic with its themes and deeper meaning than some of Miyazaki's classics. But it's overall a thing of real beauty. If it's Miyazaki's last work, one couldn't imagine a more fitting swansong. If he has more gas in the tank, then I'll once again be first in line for whatever he has to offer.

• Advertisement

How and where did you get a chance to watch it Johnny?

It’s doing the festival rounds at the moment and I was lucky enough to have a weekend away that coincided with a festival screening :)

Yeah it's an English dub, but this trailer gives a good account of the fantasy we can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

lighthouse has 2 showings, book fast. I will be away over the holidays and miss it unfortunately

I wouldn’t worry - there’ll be many more screenings. Light House usually just releases a couple of opening day / weekend screenings for pre-booking but it will fill out normally when the full week’s schedule is released closer to the time.

Number 1 at the box office opening weekend in the US and highest for an anime in America; Noice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Is this gonna be shown anywhere else other than dublin?

Playing in Blanch Imax this week. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yeah looks like its released everywhere from Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Saw it in the IMC in Dun Laoghaire last week. Absolutely loved it, it's a treat.

Advertisement