Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boy and the Heron, Hayao Miyazaki's last film?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Boo, no showings for my local Vue <sad-panda>

• Opened in the Odeon yesterday. Seen the Japanese version. Amazing stuff. Might check out the English one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Saw this on Friday. Did enjoy it a lot but (IMHO) not as much as other Miyazaki work. I think it just took a little longer to kick in and was a little bit episodic.

There is absolutely nothing WRONG with it. Maybe I was just a bit too over-hyped by all the buzz and maybe I was just a bit tired (9PM on IMAX in Blanch on Friday after long tough day at work). I'll probably enjoy it a lot more once I rewatch.

All the characters are really engaging as one would expect from a Miyazaki film and it is definitely a "companion piece" to Spirited Away (There is no overlap. It is not a sequel/prequel/whatever. Just the general tone.). While I prefer subtitled editions (And this is what I saw), the dubbed voice cast does look great and I can imagine them doing a bang up job (I actually preferred the European dub of Arietty but not the US dub).

Now that I type I think my only real "Problem" with it (And it is minor) is that I thought it was a little bit unfocused in the first 3rd.

I think I was just tired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would echo this, terrific still but not peak Miyazaki.

I will never look at parakeets in the same way! I enjoyed how the constant bird pooing was never mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

I stayed away from everything about this so I went in completely cold. I really enjoyed it even if I was left with the usual Miyazaki mind melt afterwards. It's definitely in the same tone as Spirited Away and, as usual, the score hits hard at the right times. Mixed in with some unexpected violence, it's a real rollercoaster of emotion.

Overall not as good as Spirited Away but I'd still put it in top 5 of his work. I enjoyed it way more than Howl's Moving Castle. FYI I saw the English dubbed version and didn't feel anything was taken away. If you're going in without reading anything see if you can guess Robert Pattinson's voice. Strange that Bautista got second in the billing when he's in it for about 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement