Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Montreal '67 yt clip - in an ALT 720 ( not a 707 ! )

Options
  • 14-08-2023 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

The last while I've been absorbed by all that Mackenzie Rough has put up on YT :)

Today I find he has yet another new clip. This one with a serious amount of it given over to a Dublin - Montreal ALT 707 trip in '67 :) :)

( mods please feel free to append to an existing thread - I couldn't find one but know that there are / were some here ... somewhere :( )

Post edited by 3d4life on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I believe that aircraft is actually a Boeing 720-048. It was a shorter and lighter aircraft than the B707 and had a shorter range.

Aer Lingus had three of those aircraft, their first transatlantic jets. The first one was delivered in 1960.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭3d4life

"I believe that aircraft is actually a Boeing 720-048."

Yup, I wondered about this. Before posting I did a quick trip around the interweb. It left me thinking if it was in '67 then it was a 707.

Tho' I still have doubts ...

720 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus#/media/File:Boeing_720-048_EI-ALA_Aer_Lingus_1965.jpg

OTOH, from https://simpleflying.com/aer-lingus-transatlantic-operations-history/

"As such, in 1964, the airline invested in the larger Boeing 707, which remained part of the carrier's fleet until the mid-1980s. With the advent of such aircraft, the Irish flag carrier also took the opportunity to expand its transatlantic network with the addition of flights from Ireland to Chicago and Montréal."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

And the aircraft is EI-ALC, as legible in the clip. The flight seems to be from Paris to London and then onwards LHR-DUB-SNN-YUL. Interesting footage and the quality is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭3d4life

"And the aircraft is EI-ALC" ... Well spotted. So it was a 720 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The pure-jet JT3C engines with silencers are the most obvious give-away. The Aer Lingus 707s were all powered by the JT3D turbofan. Also, the 707s were leased out quite a lot during the 1960s, so the 720s served for a few more years before being disposed of as a couple of used 707s were acquired.

In fact, the Aer Lingus Boeing fleet of those times was always in quite a state of flux, given the very seasonal nature of the TA market and the opportunity to generate income from leasing, especially in the off-season.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Advertisement
Advertisement