Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The boss watches us all the time on camera

Options
  • 14-08-2023 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have a situation, which I dont know is it normal: cameras are installed throughout the restaurant, and the manager watches us all the time when he is not in the restaurant, from home... we know this because, for example, when we pour chocolate into cups, he immediately calls the phone and says that we poured too much or too little into the cups... in any situation when he calls on the phone to comment on something, it's obvious, because at that moment the situation he's talking about on the phone happens, because he reacts as soon as he sees something on the camera, from banal little things, mostly there are no major problems to react to something he sees on camera.

The entire staff is frustrated, because he does this all the time. Does he have the right to control us like that and call us immediately if he sees someone looking at their cell phone, if someone drinks a glass of water... he definitely follows every step and calls us for stupid things that are banal!?

Does he have the right to do that and what do we need to tell him to make him understand that we are not sheep and that there are laws in Ireland that protect individual rights regarding surveillance cameras???

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He certainly has the right to supervise you. And you don't have the right to be on your phone during working hours ( except for breaks).

You may perceive the other stuff as trivial- but he clearly doesn't.

If he was doing it by camera without your knowledge- that would be a problem. Big it sounds like you know full well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I thought you were currently working your four weeks notice, according to your other thread a couple of weeks ago. If so, then let it go and move on. There's no shortage of restaurant jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Life is too short for this nonsense. Get out of there if you can and find another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wwwannna

That's right, I'm serving my notice period, but that period is full of sparks and nervousness, if I were in his place, I would give up on too long a notice period because it's done with reserved feelings and views at work... sef is so impudent that no he greets workers when meeting him, he always has a high pitched voice, he told one worker that he would break his teeth if you made another mistake, many stressful situations ... I would prefer to be able to sleep through this notice period, which is costing me a ton of nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Going on your two threads I'd guess your employer might be happier if you moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If he is watching it from the comfort of his own home is the device secure from a gdpr pov. Can his kids friends at his home watch too. Ask for a copy of his gdpr policy.

Four weeks notice is standard and in no way too long. You've only a couple of weeks left there, just suck it up, pass your time, use holidays, and move on.

Advertisement