Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange pattern on my lawn

Options
  • 15-08-2023 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Over the last 3-4 weeks the attached pattern has appeared on my lawn: horseshoe shaped & approx 18” wide prettier evenly around. Grass appears diseased/dead. I have not used any weed killer in that area (only lawn weedkiller) & nothing toxic has been dragged around this space.

Any thoughts on what this is & what might have caused it ?

Post edited by banchang on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That looks like someone had a bucket or container of something left down on the lawn (the small ring to the left), did some sort of mixing/operation in the large patch then carried a watering can with a sprayer in two directions. The area under the hedge is very clear all the way along, and there is a clear straight band along the edge of the flower bed/patio, those appear to have been sprayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That screams spillage to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Any chance there's a sewerage pipe junction under there and there's a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Also the lines would not be curved and there would be a manhole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭banchang

The area directly under the hedge have been sprayed with weed killer alright, but I definitely didn’t bring it further out.

Also no mixing was done.

I have only ever used lawn weed killer from a 10L back sprayer for the whole of the lawn, & this is the only place I have this on 200sq m of lawn.

No - this is 18m from the back of the house in the middle of the garden - the area to the left of it is a 12m patio area which we built 16 years ago over what was the original garden. No chance of pipes underneath here I’m afraid (& grateful at the same time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭10-10-20

And I think you sprayed the edge of the lawn by the path/patio too?

Was it a pressure sprayer? Any chance the sprayer had a leak at the nozzle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭standardg60

So you did use weedkiller in the area despite what you said in the first post.

It looks pretty clear that while you were walking from one side to the other the sprayer was leaking. Was it a knapsack? Could have been leaking down the back of the knapsack and you didn't notice.

Apologies my OP has been corrected - I have only used lawn weedkiller on the lawn (with a 10L backpack) & I have only used Roundup around the edges with a small hand sprayer which I am very careful with (as it’s Roundup) - certainly wouldn’t have inadvertently sprayed this area with Roundup from my small hand sprayer.

• Advertisement

I only sprayed around the edges with a small hand sprayer which I had tight control over, as it contained Roundup. There’s no chance I would have sprayed this large area with this Roundup spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I think you had an accident with the roundup even though your insisting you didn't!

Getting your face within arms length of a small handsprayer of weedkiller doesn't seem like the best idea, regardless of what it did to the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's the round up.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Have you kids? Maybe that time you were using the weedkiller one of them grabbed the sprayer while your back was turned and gave it a go.

Advertisement