Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bull to factory or mart

Options
  • 15-08-2023 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I Have a 9 y,o ch bull in great shape probably hitting 1000kg. At his age is it worth bringing him to the mart or should I factory him.

I'm not sure of the price in the factory at the moment but I'm sure it's not great, but if I go to the mart age will be against him.

Iv replaced him with another that cost 3000 so I'm hoping to recoup some of that

Should I hang on to him till later in the year ??

Tia

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If you're finished with him and have his replacement sorted I'd be off to the mart ASAP. The beef trade is only going the one way atm and I don't see much reason for it to improve in the short to medium term. Killing a bull like that yourself as a one off thing probably won't get you the best price possible on the day. Stock bulls are a sort of a niche product at the best of times and certain factories are more anxious for them than others.

A mart with a good entry of cull cows would be the best idea imo. Generally men handling numbers of beef cows cater for bulls too and I'd let them fight it out for him. He should go a long way in paying for his replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

sell sell sell. athenry mart a great spot to sell bulls.

Advertisement